[comp.unix.xenix] kernal panic, telebit fix, SCO XENIX 2.3.1 and solution

dave@norsat.UUCP (Dave Binette) (04/05/89)

SCO XENIX support, as usual, turned out to be well worth the investment.

I experienced three kernal panics in about 2 hours.

Having gone through major upgrades from a 286 to a 386 and from XENIX
2.x to 2.3.1 our system ran fine.

During the upgrade I re-installed the telebit fix on top of 2.3.1

Very shortly after installing the CTS/RTS patch, my kernal panicked.
(about 5 minutes into receiving my news-feed from van-bc)

A call to SCO support revealed that the telebit fix should not be used on
2.3.1.

After removing, and re-installing the link kit I did a tar tv on the
telebit fix diskettes to see what files it had modified. After removing the
files from my filesystem and re-installing them with custom,
(option 5- restore a specific file) all is well again.

The affected files were:
   /bin/cu
   /usr/bin/rmail
   /usr/lib/uucp/uucico
   /usr/lib/uucp/dialTBIT
   /usr/lib/uucp/dialTBIT.c
   /usr/lib/uucp/makefile

summary: don't use the telebit fix on 2.3.1, especially with CTS/RTS fix.

--
---
usenet:  {uunet,ubc-cs}!van-bc!norsat!dave     (Dave Binette)

In article <65@norsat.UUCP> dave@norsat.UUCP (Dave Binette) writes:
>... After removing the
>files from my filesystem and re-installing them with custom,
>(option 5- restore a specific file) all is well again.

Perhaps I should clarify this point.

The files to be restored were from the XENIX 2.3.1 distribution diskettes
NOT from the telebit fix diskettes.

The purpose of the exercise was to remove any remnants of the telebit fix.
--
---