[comp.unix.xenix] VP/ix vs Merge

compata@cup.portal.com (Dave H Close) (03/14/89)

Most of you have probably noticed in SCO's latest newsletter their announcement
of Open Desktop.  This product includes DOS Merge from Locus.  In the same
newsletter, SCO announces a free upgrade for VP/ix (which support tells me isn'
actually ready, the announcement was "very premature").

What does this mean?  So far as I know, those are the only two DOS-under-Unix
products available.  Is SCO abandoning VP/ix, perhaps because of all the
complaints recently aired on the net?  Is Merge any better?

Dave Close, Compata, Arlington, Texas
compata@cup.portal.com

ecu@libcmp.UUCP (Edward C. Unrein) (03/17/89)

In article <15814@cup.portal.com>, compata@cup.portal.com (Dave H Close) writes:
> Most of you have probably noticed in SCO's latest newsletter their announcement
> of Open Desktop.  This product includes DOS Merge from Locus.  In the same
> newsletter, SCO announces a free upgrade for VP/ix (which support tells me isn'
> actually ready, the announcement was "very premature").
>
> What does this mean?  So far as I know, those are the only two DOS-under-Unix
> products available.  Is SCO abandoning VP/ix, perhaps because of all the
> complaints recently aired on the net?  Is Merge any better?
>
> Dave Close, Compata, Arlington, Texas
> compata@cup.portal.com

Unfortunately you are correct in you assumption of SCO's abandonment of VP/ix.
Our company is a Level III authorized reseller and a member of SCO's
Reseller/VAR Advisory Board(one of only 10 Resellers) and we have been
informed of the decision to support Merge.

This hasn't been released to the general public at this time, only minor hints
via way of SCO's Discover publication.

We have spoken with Interactive regarding same but have only received a
response stating that they were part of VP/ix's development and are now in
direct market conflict with Santa Cruz Operations.

Ed Unrein		(peora!rtmvax!libcmp!ecu)
Liberty Computers, Inc.	(407) 293-6346 office voice number
UNIX guest account	(407) 299-6947 TELEBIT (8N1) login: guest
UUCP: libcmp Any (speed any) 14072996947 ogin:-""-ogin:-""-ogin:nuucp

ecu@libcmp.UUCP (Edward C. Unrein) (03/19/89)

jim@applix.UUCP (Jim Morton) (03/20/89)

> Unfortunately you are correct in you assumption of SCO's abandonment of VP/ix.
> Our company is a Level III authorized reseller and a member of SCO's
> Reseller/VAR Advisory Board(one of only 10 Resellers) and we have been
> informed of the decision to support Merge.

wait a sec...before you get people in the VP/ix world all worked up, let's
make a note that inclusion of Merge in Open Desktop does NOT indicate SCO
dropping support for VP/ix. The kernel "hooks" are identical and exist in
the standard Unix V.3.2/386 product. Furthermore, SCO stated at UniForum
that they were NOT dropping support for VP/ix. I have to admit when I saw
the Merge announcement the same thought crossed my mind, but SCO is on
record as saying that VP/ix lives, in the post-Xenix SCO world.

as for which one is faster/more bug-free/better supported, we'll see...
--
Jim Morton, APPLiX Inc., Westboro, MA
UUCP: ...harvard!m2c!applix!jim

evan@telly.UUCP (Evan Leibovitch) (03/23/89)

In article <212@libcmp.UUCP> ecu@libcmp.UUCP (Edward C. Unrein) writes:

>Unfortunately you are correct in you assumption of SCO's abandonment of VP/ix.

>This hasn't been released to the general public at this time, only minor hints
>via way of SCO's Discover publication.

Not to mention big displays at the SCO booth at Uniforum.
If had been a secret, it wasn't after San Francisco. The people at
the Locus booth were beaming.

>We have spoken with Interactive regarding same but have only received a
>response stating that they were part of VP/ix's development and are now in
>direct market conflict with Santa Cruz Operations.

Some speculation:

-	While Interactive was able to offer only vp/ix, Locus had something
	else SCO wanted - a commercial implementation of X, and products
	for DOS that allow TCP/X11 intergration with SCO Unix. Locus may
	have insisted on adapting Merge as part of the package.

-	Remember now that Interactive is probably the #1 vendor of
	386 SysV 3.2 until SCO releases theirs. The abandonment
	of vp/ix probably represents an unwillingness on the part of
	SCO to depend on its biggest (potential) competitor for such an
	important element of its product.

--

 Evan Leibovitch, SA of System Telly, located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
     evan@telly.on.ca / {uunet!attcan,utzoo}!telly!evan / (416) 452-0504

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (03/26/89)

In article <840@telly.UUCP> evan@telly.UUCP (Evan Leibovitch) writes:
:Some speculation:
:
:-	While Interactive was able to offer only vp/ix, Locus had something
:	else SCO wanted - a commercial implementation of X, and products

Perhaps Merge can/will support X Windows (run in a window) and VP/ix can't.

"V will get you XX, if you know what I mean." -Mae West paraphrased by AT&T

scf@statware.UUCP (Steve Fullerton) (03/28/89)

In article <742@omen.UUCP> caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) writes:

>Perhaps Merge can/will support X Windows (run in a window) and VP/ix can't.

On 386/ix VP/ix will support X Windows.  At least it works under xterm
as a vt100.  We have VP/ix on XENIX as well as 386/ix and it seems to work
much better under 386/ix.  One particular problem we have is users wanting
to rlogin across the Ethernet to a 386 system to run VP/ix.  This works
under 386/ix but fails for SCO XENIX.  In order to do this under XENIX
we have had to run serial lines between the systems (BTW, VP/ix on a
vt100 terminal is our goal).  It kind of defeats the purpose of an Ethernet.

--
Steve Fullerton                        Statware, Inc.
scf%statware.uucp@cs.orst.edu          260 SW Madison Ave, Suite 109

dlu@wobble.UUCP (Doug Urner) (03/29/89)

In article <742@omen.UUCP> caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) writes:

>Perhaps Merge can/will support X Windows (run in a window) and VP/ix can't.

The version of VP/ix distributed by Interactive with the 2.0.1 release of
386/ix will runs in an X11 window on my machine...

I am running the beta version of X11.3 from Interactive.

blume@netmbx.UUCP (Heiko Blume) (03/30/89)

well, at least vp/ix is allowed to modify the keyboard driver under xenix 386
which can cause problems if it crashes or if you kill it. on the hann(g)over
cebit fair i killed a vp/ic running procomm which caused the keyboard to f*ck up
when i switched back to the virtual concole on which it was running. i had to
cold boot the machine because i couldnt switch back to the other consoles,
the response to alt-f* was ;c or something like that...
i asked a guy at sco's booth and he confirmed that vp/ic can modify the keyboard
driver. not very sophisticated...
i'd like to hear from someone using merge if he could check this one out.
--
Heiko Blume,Seekorso 29,D-1000 Berlin 22,VOICE=(+49 30)365 55 71,BBS=()365 75 01
TELEX=184174 intro d,FAX=()882 50 65|ARPA  =crash!pnet01!pro-cess!blume@nosc.mil

eric@egsner.UUCP (Eric Schnoebelen) (03/31/89)

In article <2473@netmbx.UUCP> blume@netmbx.UUCP (Heiko Blume) writes:
-well, at least vp/ix is allowed to modify the keyboard driver under xenix 386
-which can cause problems if it crashes or if you kill it. on the hann(g)over
-cebit fair i killed a vp/ic running procomm which caused the keyboard to f*ck
-up when i switched back to the virtual concole on which it was running. i had
-to cold boot the machine because i couldnt switch back to the other consoles,
-the response to alt-f* was ;c or something like that...
-i asked a guy at sco's booth and he confirmed that vp/ic can modify the
-keyboard driver. not very sophisticated...
-i'd like to hear from someone using merge if he could check this one out.

	Well, I am using DOSMerge/386 ( an early beta release, no less )
on Microport Unix, and have had no problems with anything like that.
The only problem I have seen is that the Alt-F1 through Alt-F4 keys are
caught by the console driver, and shift you to that virtual console,
before passing them on to the DOS program.  One then needs to do a
Ctrl-SysReq to get back to the DOS session.

	I have killed off several DOS applications, and there were some
that wouldn't die the first couple of kills, but none of them left the
console in a messed up state.

	Over all, I like Merge very much.  I think it does a very good
job.  Now I just have to get a full release version of it.. :-)
--
Eric Schnoebelen
egsner!eric@texbell.uucp			...!texbell!egsner!eric

rosso@sco.COM (Ross Oliver) (04/01/89)

In article <212@libcmp.UUCP> ecu@libcmp.UUCP (Edward C. Unrein) writes:
>In article <15814@cup.portal.com>, compata@cup.portal.com (Dave H Close) writes:
>> Most of you have probably noticed in SCO's latest newsletter their announcement
>> of Open Desktop.  This product includes DOS Merge from Locus.  In the same
>> newsletter, SCO announces a free upgrade for VP/ix (which support tells me isn'
>> actually ready, the announcement was "very premature").
>>
>> What does this mean?  So far as I know, those are the only two DOS-under-Unix
>> products available.  Is SCO abandoning VP/ix, perhaps because of all the
>> complaints recently aired on the net?  Is Merge any better?
>>
>> Dave Close, Compata, Arlington, Texas
>> compata@cup.portal.com
>
>Unfortunately you are correct in you assumption of SCO's abandonment of VP/ix.
>Our company is a Level III authorized reseller and a member of SCO's
>Reseller/VAR Advisory Board(one of only 10 Resellers) and we have been
>informed of the decision to support Merge.
>
>This hasn't been released to the general public at this time, only minor hints
>via way of SCO's Discover publication.

Below is the official statement from SCO management
on the issue of VP/ix versus Merge 386.  Further
inquiries can be directed to sco!info.

Ross Oliver
Software Support Engineer
The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.
--------------------------------------

The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc. (SCO) currently offers two options for
DOS-under-UNIX integration.  SCO VP/ix is the standard SCO operating
system extension for running multiple DOS applications concurrently with
multiple UNIX System processes in a fully paged, virtual-memory environment.

SCO also recently announced Open Desktop, an open systems environment for
386-based PCs, which combines technologies from several vendors in a single
integrated package.  Open Desktop provides DOS-under-UNIX integration with
Merge 386 from Locus Computing Corporation.

SCO VP/ix is available for all SCO XENIX 386 and SCO UNIX System V/386
platforms.  Support for SCO VP/ix has been incorporated in all appropriate
SCO device drivers and many third-party drivers, and SCO VP/ix has been
specially tuned for high performance in a multiuser ascii terminal environment.
In addition, SCO VP/ix supports SCO MultiScreen virtual consoles and the full
set of mouse devices included with every SCO operating system.

SCO VP/ix is a key product in SCO's DOS compatibility and office automation
strategies.  SCO will continue to develop and support SCO VP/ix as an optional
operating system extension.

Merge 386 is designed for the networked, X Window System graphical
workstation environment provided by Open Desktop.  Merge 386 is highly
optimized for SCO Xsight, Open Desktop's X Window System technology, and is
therefore the logical choice for Open Desktop's DOS-under-UNIX integration.

SCO is dedicated to providing products and services demanded by our customers.
To this end, we endeavor to provide the right solutions for the widest possible
range of computing requirements.  If you need an integrated, PC-based UNIX
System platform designed for both engineering and general-purpose graphical
workstations, look into Open Desktop. If you need to run DOS applications in a
multiuser SCO XENIX 386 or SCO UNIX System V/386 workgroup environment, we're
proud to offer SCO VP/ix.

To clarify any questions or concerns about SCO's product line, contact your
SCO sales representative, SCO Authorized Reseller, or SCO Authorized
Distributor.  Your established contact will be aware of the latest SCO
directions, policies, and positions.

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (04/01/89)

In article <2473@netmbx.UUCP> blume@netmbx.UUCP (Heiko Blume) writes:
:well, at least vp/ix is allowed to modify the keyboard driver under xenix 386
:which can cause problems if it crashes or if you kill it. on the hann(g)over
:cebit fair i killed vp/ix running procomm which caused the keyboard to f*ck up
:when i switched back to the virtual concole on which it was running. i had to
:cold boot the machine because i couldnt switch back to the other consoles,
:the response to alt-f* was ;c or something like that...
:i asked a guy at sco's booth and he confirmed that vp/ix can modify the keyboard
:driver. not very sophisticated...
:i'd like to hear from someone using merge if he could check this one out.

First off, if one needs to kill a vp/ix process, use kill -1 only.
If for some reason the console keyboard does get left on scan-code mode,
you can stil use any serial terminals you might have to bring down the
system in an orderly fashion.

Ideally, the kernel should restore the keyboard function when a process
exits just as it closes files and releases memory.

My understanding is, Merge was chosen for Open Desktop because it allows
DOS graphics applications to run in a X window.  I'm sure vp/ix can be
modified to run a text app under xterm, but that's not the same thing.

pax@ankh.ftl.fl.US (Garry M. Paxinos) (04/02/89)

In article <742@omen.UUCP> caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) writes:

   Perhaps Merge can/will support X Windows (run in a window) and VP/ix can't.

Nope, I've been running VP/ix under Interactives Alpha release of X11.3 for
several months.  The only nit is that it only runs text mode under the
alpha release of X.
--
Internet : pax@ankh.ftl.fl.US
Uucp     : {...!gatech!uflorida!novavax, killer, hoptoad, mthvax}!ankh!pax

tif@cpe.UUCP (04/05/89)

Written 11:08 pm  Apr  4, 1989 by mrspoc.UUCP!itkin in cpe:comp.unix.xenix
>Can someone educate me?  Does SCO XENIX V/386 operate in a "fully paged,
>virtual-memory environment?"  My system sure seems to be swapping, not
>paging and virtualling :^>~

Assuming I understand the strict definitions (maybe someone should post
the strict definitions?) of "fully paged, virtual-memory environment"
the answer is yes.  You can probably satisfy yourself by looking at vmstat
and specifically try "vmstat -s".  It looks like this for instance:

	   20410 page cache hits
	    1963 page cache misses
	       0 procs swapped in
	       0 procs swapped out
	    1963 filesystem page reads
	       0 swap area page reads
	       0 swap area page writes
	     134 pages reclaimed from free list
	   22403 pages shared due to copy-on-write fork
	       2 pages shared due to cache hits
	   22636 shared pages copied
	 2868390 page faults
	  597987 cpu context switches
	 5980576 (non clock) device interrupts
	   81483 traps
	 5928438 system calls

			Paul Chamberlain
			Computer Product Engineering, Tandy Corp.
			{killer | texbell}!cpe!tif