[comp.unix.xenix] Exelan 205T installation problems

milan@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Milan Strnad) (04/02/89)

I've just attempted to install an Exelan Network Card 205T in a
386/25 Compaq, eventually to talk over thin Ethernet to other
Compaqs, all running SCO Xenix 2.3.1.  I used the defaults
during the installation scripts, and all seemed fine. Then,
on booting, the system tries to initialize the board. Result:
an unknown error ffffffff, and the whole system hangs. Nice.
Talking to the vendor, they suggested changing the board i/o address
from D00000H to CC00H. This did not cause an error, but it still
hangs after telling me it is initializing the board. I take it that
it does not take 30 minutes to initialize the board? :-)

A couple days later, my Compaq developed a 205-Memory error on
powering up. (I hope this problem is not related to the 205T board
installation attempts). For your info, a 205-Memory Error has to
do with a bad memory caching chip. Has this happened to you?

milan@gpu

chip@vector.UUCP (Chip Rosenthal) (04/05/89)

In article <1989Apr2.093353.14354@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> milan@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Milan Strnad) writes:
>I've just attempted to install an Exelan Network Card 205T in a
>386/25 Compaq [...] running SCO Xenix 2.3.1.

RTFM.  Version 2.3.1 release notes section 12.1.
--
Chip Rosenthal / chip@vector.Dallas.TX.US / Dallas Semiconductor / 214-450-5337

syd@dsinc.UUCP (Syd Weinstein) (04/06/89)

In article <799@vector.UUCP> chip@vector.UUCP (Chip Rosenthal) writes:
>In article <1989Apr2.093353.14354@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> milan@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Milan Strnad) writes:
>>I've just attempted to install an Exelan Network Card 205T in a
>>386/25 Compaq [...] running SCO Xenix 2.3.1.
>
>RTFM.  Version 2.3.1 release notes section 12.1.

Wrong,  I have had the same problem, and you don't need/want the fix
disk for the NEWER Excelan software.  That disk was for the older
software only.  The newer software has this checkout init program
that gives this message.  I don't know how to solve it either,
I get it on one machine and not another, same cards, same software.

Datacomp Systems, Inc.				Voice: (215) 947-9900
{allegra,bpa,vu-vlsi}!dsinc!syd	                FAX:   (215) 938-0235

milan@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Milan Strnad) (04/09/89)

Thanks to all who sent me info on regarding the Excelan card install.
The final solution was to set the board address in netload_opts to be
C0000H. That seemed to cause the card to initialize ok. In fact, I've
installed a second card into a non-Xenix system (a Compaq 286 running
DOS 3.3), and now have ftp and telnet working between the two machines.

If anyone else is experiencing problems, I'll be happy to discuss them.

                                        milan