[comp.unix.xenix] Tcsh? Ksh? anything?

spolsky-joel@CS.Yale.EDU (Joel Spolsky) (03/09/89)

System: SCO Xenix 2.2, on a Compaq 386/20. Is there ANY way to get a
better shell than the crappy mini-C shell that comes with SCO Xenix?
Has anybody gotten the Tcsh to work with Xenix, or are there ANY
shells with cursor-key history editing and file name completion?
A la Ksh, etc.

Many thanks,

+----------------+----------------------------------------------------------+
|  Joel Spolsky  | bitnet: spolsky@yalecs.bitnet     uucp: ...!yale!spolsky |
|                | internet: spolsky@cs.yale.edu     voicenet: 203-436-1483 |
+----------------+----------------------------------------------------------+
                                                      #include <disclaimer.h>

daveh@marob.MASA.COM (Dave Hammond) (03/11/89)

In article <53184@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> spolsky-joel@CS.Yale.EDU writes:
>System: SCO Xenix 2.2, on a Compaq 386/20. Is there ANY way to get a
>better shell than the crappy mini-C shell that comes with SCO Xenix?
>[...]
>A la Ksh, etc.

Aspen Software markets Ksh for Xenix, as does (I believe) MKS.

Tcsh requires source to 'csh', so that is unlikely to exist on too
many Xenix machines.

--
Dave Hammond
daveh@marob.masa.com

todd@stiatl.UUCP (Todd Merriman) (03/11/89)

In article <53184@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> spolsky-joel@CS.Yale.EDU (Joel Spolsky) writes:
>System: SCO Xenix 2.2, on a Compaq 386/20. Is there ANY way to get a
>better shell than the crappy mini-C shell that comes with SCO Xenix?
>Has anybody gotten the Tcsh to work with Xenix, or are there ANY
>shells with cursor-key history editing and file name completion?
>A la Ksh, etc.

Korn Shell from
Aspen Scientific
P.O. Box 72
Wheat Ridge, CO 80034-0072

mhlevy@sbee.sunysb.edu (Mark Levy) (03/12/89)

In article <53184@yale-celray.yale.UUCP>, spolsky-joel@CS.Yale.EDU (Joel Spolsky) writes:
> System: SCO Xenix 2.2, on a Compaq 386/20. Is there ANY way to get a
> better shell than the crappy mini-C shell that comes with SCO Xenix?
> Has anybody gotten the Tcsh to work with Xenix, or are there ANY
> shells with cursor-key history editing and file name completion?
> A la Ksh, etc.

Mortice Kern Systems has KSH available in their trilogy package.  Though
I haven't purchased it yet, I have a version in the messy dos MKS tool kit.
Also available is one from ASPEN systems (?)

Please note that I am not personally familliar with either product, nor am I
in any way connected with either company.  I am very pleased wit h the MKS
tool kit, and am very unhappy with the XENIX csh.  Does anybody out there is
comp.unix.xenix-land know if any available shell product offers job control
features similar to those in the BSD csh ?

thanks,
Mark

Mark Levy { mhlevy@sbccvm.BITNET   } 	%       DISCLAIMER??? HA!!!
          { mhlevy@sbee.sunysb.edu }    % I admit it!  Go ahead, blame me,
          { mhlevy@ccvm.sunysb.edu } 	% everyone else does!!!!

vijay@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV (Vijay Subramaniam) (03/12/89)

I found a public dommain Korn Shell on a ftp site with anonymous ftp
and thee README said it works on bsd 4.2 and SYSV
so i guess it should not be hard to port to Xenix...even if you have to modify anything

If a lot of people want it i will put it in anonymous ftp or can mail it to you

The Readme said it was Public Domain ...so if it is not  , it is not my fault

                                   Vijay

karish@forel.stanford.edu (Chuck Karish) (03/13/89)

In article <21832@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV> vijay@lll-winken.llnl.gov
(Vijay Subramaniam) wrote:
>I found a public dommain Korn Shell on a ftp site with anonymous ftp...
>If a lot of people want it i will put it in anonymous ftp or can mail it to you
>The Readme said it was Public Domain ...so if it is not  , it is not my fault

	If you redistribute it, it very definitely IS your fault.
	Ask your employer how anxious they are to be sued by AT&T.
	Yes, they WILL sue the government.

	Chuck Karish	karish@denali.stanford.edu
			hplabs!hpda!mindcrf!karish
			(415) 493-7277

daveh@marob.MASA.COM (Dave Hammond) (03/13/89)

In article <21832@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV> vijay@lll-winken.llnl.gov writes:

>I found a public dommain Korn Shell on a ftp site with anonymous ftp
>and thee README said it works on bsd 4.2 and SYSV
>so i guess it should not be hard to port to Xenix...even if you have to modify anything
>
>If a lot of people want it i will put it in anonymous ftp or can mail it to you
>
>The Readme said it was Public Domain ...so if it is not  , it is not my fault
>
>                                   Vijay

The subject of public domain Korn shell sources has been tossed about in
unix.questions and unix.wizards, and the One True Answer is that 'ksh' is
very definitely Copyright (c) Bell Labs (and very definitely 3 grand for
the sources).

I might check the sources for copyright info, carefully, before offering
to distribute copies.

--
Dave Hammond
daveh@marob.masa.com

rac@sherpa.UUCP (Roger A. Cornelius) (03/13/89)

From article <3694@stiatl.UUCP>, by todd@stiatl.UUCP (Todd Merriman):
< In article <53184@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> spolsky-joel@CS.Yale.EDU (Joel Spolsky) writes:
<>System: SCO Xenix 2.2, on a Compaq 386/20. Is there ANY way to get a
<>better shell than the crappy mini-C shell that comes with SCO Xenix?
<>Has anybody gotten the Tcsh to work with Xenix, or are there ANY
<>shells with cursor-key history editing and file name completion?
<>A la Ksh, etc.
<>
< Korn Shell from
< Aspen Scientific
< P.O. Box 72
< Wheat Ridge, CO 80034-0072

  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is not the company that makes ksh.
The correct info is:

ASPEN Technologies, Inc.
PO Box 5727
Parsippany, NJ  07054
201-316-0866

--
Roger Cornelius       rac@sherpa
                      uunet!sherpa!rac

jack@turnkey.TCC.COM (Jack F. Vogel) (03/13/89)

In article <1174@sbee.sunysb.edu> mhlevy@sbee.sunysb.edu (Mark Levy) writes:

>                                                 Does anybody out there is
>comp.unix.xenix-land know if any available shell product offers job control
>features similar to those in the BSD csh ?

It is not really the product like the csh that determines whether or not
you can have job control. In order to provide job control the kernel must
support it. As a matter of fact later versions of the ksh also allow job
control, similarly the bsh or BRL enhanced bourne shell also have job
control available. And I must say, having recently been working in an
environment that has job control, I sorely miss it using SCO. What I am
really interested in knowing is whether SCO UNIX 3.2 will have it or
not, someone from SCO care to comment??

--
Jack F. Vogel
Turnkey Computer Consultants, Westchester,CA

jeremy@enosh.prime.com (Jeremy Nussbaum) (03/15/89)

For whatever it's worth, here is a very recent posting from comp.archives
claiming that the ksh from gpu is indeed public domain:
Begin quote
Article 120 of comp.archives:
Newsgroups: comp.archives
Subject: Public domain version of ksh is available
Date: 11 Mar 89 18:00:36 GMT
Sender: comparc@twwells.uucp

Newsgroups: comp.sys.sun
Date: 11 Mar 89 03:43:49 GMT

For those interested in a public domain version of ksh, there is one
available by anonymous FTP from the site `gpu.utcs.toronto.edu'.  It was
not derived from the AT&T sources.

brad schoeing
schoenin@cs.uiuc.edu
End quote

curtj@pogo.GPID.TEK.COM (Curt "jutz" Jutzi) (03/22/89)

In article <53184@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> spolsky-joel@CS.Yale.EDU (Joel Spolsky) writes:
>Has anybody gotten the Tcsh to work with Xenix, or are there ANY
>shells with cursor-key history editing and file name completion?
>A la Ksh, etc.

	I have gott'n ksh up and running on my XENIX machine.
	It was a little bit of a pain.. but it runs..

   __        __  /|      Curt Jutzi (Jutz)                 Tektronix Inc.
 ((__ \      \'o.O`      tektronix!curtj@pogo.WV           Del. St. 63-356
    \\ !     =(___)=     (503) 685-3723                    P.O. Box 1000
     !!!        U                                          Wilsonville,OR 97070

wab@reed.UUCP (Bill Baker) (03/23/89)

In article <589@marob.MASA.COM> daveh@marob.masa.com (Dave Hammond) writes:
>Aspen Software markets Ksh for Xenix, as does (I believe) MKS.

Wait a minute.  As of fall '87 SCO was distributing a ksh floppy (undocumented
and unsupported) to interested customers.  Is this no longer the case?
Has anyone called the Hotline to ask?  I think it was even gratis but
I could be wrong.

------------
Bill Baker
{backbone}!tektronix!reed!wab

The difference between an 800-pound gorilla and an SCO Vice-President
is purely cosmetic.  --from the Great Book of SCO Koans.

daveh@marob.MASA.COM (Dave Hammond) (03/24/89)

In article <12134@reed.UUCP> wab@reed.UUCP (Bill Baker) writes:
>Wait a minute.  As of fall '87 SCO was distributing a ksh floppy (undocumented
>and unsupported) to interested customers.  Is this no longer the case?

If that were the case, I think many more of us would have known about it
and it would have been in wide circulation at this point ...

>Has anyone called the Hotline to ask?  I think it was even gratis but
					^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
... especially if THIS was true!  8-)

--
Dave Hammond
daveh@marob.masa.com

pete@romed.UUCP (Pete Rourke) (03/25/89)

In article <12134@reed.UUCP> wab@reed.UUCP (Bill Baker) writes:
>Bill Baker
>{backbone}!tektronix!reed!wab
>The difference between an 800-pound gorilla and an SCO Vice-President
>is purely cosmetic.  --from the Great Book of SCO Koans.

 I take great offense at your signature line.

 Of course the difference between an 800 -pound gorilla and a reed!wab
 is that the gorilla is closer to sentience.

--
..rutgers!okstate!romed!pete
..sun!texsun!romed!pete

wab@reed.UUCP (Bill Baker) (03/27/89)

In article <598@marob.MASA.COM> daveh@marob.masa.com (Dave Hammond) writes:
>In article <589@marob.MASA.COM> I wrote:
>>>Aspen Software markets Ksh for Xenix, as does (I believe) MKS.
>
>In article <12134@reed.UUCP> wab@reed.UUCP (Bill Baker) writes:
>>Wait a minute.  As of fall '87 SCO was distributing a ksh floppy (undocumented
>>and unsupported) to interested customers.  Is this no longer the case?
>
>If that were the case, I think many more of us would have known about it
>and it would have been in wide circulation at this point ...

You're probably right and it probably isn't SCO's policy anymore, but it was at
one time because I myself checked such a floppy out of SCO's product
engineering cabinet.  Easy to check, though, since the SCO Hotline
folks read this newsgroup.  Ross, is this no longer the case?

------------
Bill Baker
{backbone}!tektronix!reed!wab

"When developing a software clone, an SCO employee and his conscience
are soon parted."  --From the Great Book of SCO Koans.

In article <408@romed.UUCP> pete@romed.UUCP (Pete Rourke) writes:
>In article <12134@reed.UUCP> wab@reed.UUCP (Bill Baker) writes:
>>Bill Baker
>>{backbone}!tektronix!reed!wab
>>The difference between an 800-pound gorilla and an SCO Vice-President
>>is purely cosmetic.  --from the Great Book of SCO Koans.
>

> I take great offense at your signature line.

Hey, boob! I speak from experience.  If you don't, then that is to say
that you do not speak at all.

Actually, I get a kick out of SCO's Vice-Presidents.  They are real
people, not the corporate cogs most big companies use as upper-level
management.  Altogether, SCO's Vice-Presidents are a fun and
personable, if not particularly trustworthy, lot.  Think of your Uncle
Jack (every family has one) who was always such fun at parties but
whom your mother wouldn't leave alone in the same room as your little
sister and you'll get the idea.

> Of course the difference between an 800 -pound gorilla and a reed!wab
> is that the gorilla is closer to sentience.

Ow!  I'm hit, I'm hit!  Medic!  Somebody give me the last rites.  My
armor is clattering about me.

C'mon, Pete!  If you're gonna zing someone on the net, you've got to
have a better line than that.  In the parlance of the trade, the net
is a tough house.

But then I suppose a lack of talent is typical of the type of person
who would come to the defense of some nameless, faceless and soulless
Vice-President In Charge Of Wang Wiggling.  Don't despair, Pete.  As
part of his program for a "Kindler, Gentler America" President Lush
appointed the biggest goon he could find as Vice-President of the
United States so that people such as yourself, crippled by a lack of
humor, would have a sitting duck.

By the by, Webster's defines sentience as "feeling or sensation as
distinguished from perception or thought."  So you've accused me of
being less hedonistic and more introspective than a gorilla,
essentially the reverse of what you intended to say.  Very good, Pete.
You've made a fool out of yourself in front of thousands of people.
In the parlance of the trade, once again, this is known as stepping in
deep doo-doo.

------------
Bill Baker
{backbone}!tektronix!reed!wab

An idiot and his credibility are soon parted.  --From the Great Book of
Romed Research Koans.

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (03/28/89)

In article <12195@reed.UUCP> wab@reed.UUCP (Bill Baker) writes:
>Hey, boob! I speak from experience.  If you don't, then that is to say
>that you do not speak at all.
>[blather]

Hey, who left the VAX running at Reed during Spring Break?
Seriously, little boy, if you want to entertain your pals, do
it elsewhere.  No one here is interested in your smart-ass wisecracks.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer

rosso@sco.COM (Ross Oliver) (04/14/89)

In article <12189@reed.UUCP> wab@reed.UUCP (Bill Baker) writes:
>>In article <12134@reed.UUCP> wab@reed.UUCP (Bill Baker) writes:
>>>Wait a minute.  As of fall '87 SCO was distributing a ksh floppy (undocumented
>>>and unsupported) to interested customers.  Is this no longer the case?
>>
>>If that were the case, I think many more of us would have known about it
>>and it would have been in wide circulation at this point ...
>
>You're probably right and it probably isn't SCO's policy anymore, but it was at
>one time because I myself checked such a floppy out of SCO's product
>engineering cabinet.  Easy to check, though, since the SCO Hotline
>folks read this newsgroup.  Ross, is this no longer the case?

SCO Support has never distributed any version of the Korn shell.
I believe it is licensed by AT&T as an entirely seperate product
(for more $$$), and is therefore not included in a UNIX license.

Ross Oliver
Technical Support
The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.