[comp.unix.xenix] COFF binaries under 2.3 Dev Sys.

daveh@marob.MASA.COM (Dave Hammond) (04/10/89)

There were 2 primary reasons why I felt it worth upgrading from the
2.2 Dev Sys (distributed with 2.3.1), and the 2.3 Dev Sys.  The first
was an improved Curses port (and it is).  The second was "COFF compatibility".

After upgrading to 2.3, and scouring *all* available docs, the only occurances
of the pattern "COFF" which I found, were on the ld(C) man page, where it
states that COFF objects are transparently linked with Xenix binaries, and
on the directory(S) man page, where it states that the -ldir set of directory
functions must be used to produce COFF-compatible binaries.

Nowhere does it state that 2.3 allows you to *produce* a COFF-compatible
object file!  Not only that, SCO tech support (NOT to reduce this to
a SCO tech support flame fest) informed me that they had no information
about producing COFF objects; had never had any inquiries about that
subject; and it was probably a marketting "future consideration" issue,
at best.  Thank you very much.

Is there anyone else on the net who feels that producing COFF-compatible
binaries should be higher on SCO's list of priorities, than a "marketting
future consideration"?

For the first time in 4 years, I am actively pursuing a non-SCO Intel/Unix
environment.  A copy of 386/ix with VPIX and X-Windows arrives here shortly.
(I guess its time to "g comp.unix.i386" :-\)

--
Dave Hammond
daveh@marob.masa.com

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (Wm. E. Davidsen Jr) (04/12/89)

In article <612@marob.MASA.COM> daveh@marob.masa.com (Dave Hammond) writes:

| Is there anyone else on the net who feels that producing COFF-compatible
| binaries should be higher on SCO's list of priorities, than a "marketting
| future consideration"?

  Since V.3.2 will run Xenix executables, I'm not sure I have any
interest in getting COFF binaries. If you sell libraries, I can see that
it would be desirable, but otherwise... who cares?

  Having tried a number of COFF files under 2.3.1 I am pretty sure that
you would be able to run the software development package from any V.3.2
under Xenix to produce COFF.

| For the first time in 4 years, I am actively pursuing a non-SCO Intel/Unix
| environment.  A copy of 386/ix with VPIX and X-Windows arrives here shortly.
| (I guess its time to "g comp.unix.i386" :-\)

  I looked, but I guess I'll wait for SCO3.2 and/or Open Workbench or
whatever. I want NFS and X, but I need reliability more than capability.
I don't want to cast aspersions on anyone's tech support, but SCO
doesn't have the worst in the industry.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@crd.GE.COM)

rosso@sco.COM (Ross Oliver) (04/14/89)

In article <612@marob.MASA.COM> daveh@marob.masa.com (Dave Hammond) writes:
>Nowhere does it state that 2.3 allows you to *produce* a COFF-compatible
>object file!  Not only that, SCO tech support (NOT to reduce this to
>a SCO tech support flame fest) informed me that they had no information
>about producing COFF objects; had never had any inquiries about that
>subject; and it was probably a marketting "future consideration" issue,
>at best.  Thank you very much.

The 2.3 Development System cannot generate COFF object modules or
COFF executables.  It can link existing COFF object modules and
libraries into XENIX executables.  The upcoming 3.2 Development System
will include both the AT&T and Microsoft C compilers, and all the utilities
needed to generate both COFF and XENIX (x.out) object modules and
executables.

Ross Oliver
Technical Support
The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.