[comp.unix.xenix] which AT SCSI Controller is best?

jgrace@bbn.com (Joe Grace) (04/13/89)

This seems a good time to ask!  I need to buy a SCSI Controller
for my PC/AT and was wondering which controllers people think
are the best, i.e., fastest, most featureful, best value, etc..
It must be reliable.  If it comes with cables, software and documentation
so much the better.

I have been considering the Western Digital FASST2 Package.

Any tips?

= Joe =
jgrace@bbn.com
Joe Grace
ARPA: jgrace@bbn.com
UUCP: {harvard,husc6,decvax,etc.}!bbn!jgrace

neese@cpe.UUCP (04/13/89)

>This seems a good time to ask!  I need to buy a SCSI Controller
>for my PC/AT and was wondering which controllers people think
>are the best, i.e., fastest, most featureful, best value, etc..
>It must be reliable.  If it comes with cables, software and documentation
>so much the better.
>
>I have been considering the Western Digital FASST2 Package.
>
>Any tips?

Well Joe, I have been seen this question asked on the net before, and
when I replied I got flamed for 'advertising'.  So let me try it again
in a different manner.  If you want to use SCO, or Microport Xenix
then you might keep in mind that both of these folks have support for
the Adaptec AHA-15xx family of SCSI adapters.  I know that the SCO version
supports HD's, tape, and some other removeable media products.  This SCSI
adapter family is very rich in features. (I am worried about posting the
features as I will probably get flamed again, so send E-mail for a list).  This
family, speaking as an engineer (maybe this will cover it), is a very high
performance family and was really designed for the Unix industry.

(You know if I didn't work for Tandy the following statement wouldn't
cause any grief)
One of the places you can get the board is at Tandy for about $299.00.
It comes with a 3 connector cable and installation instructions.

					Roy Neese
				UUCP @	{texbell,merch,killer}!cpe!neese
					Tandy Computer Product Engineering

jim@tiamat.fsc.com (Jim O'Connor) (04/15/89)

In article <3400009@cpe>, neese@cpe.UUCP writes:

> Well Joe, I have been seen this question asked on the net before, and
> when I replied I got flamed for 'advertising'.  So let me try it again

I have talked at length with Roy about SCSI, especially in the Xenix/PC
areas, and am awfully glad he takes the time to impart his wisdom here.
If it's not right for him to talk about Tandy's products, then I will.

From experience, the Adaptec AHA-1540 is a very good SCSI controller.
Tandy does sell it for $299.  You can probably get it cheaper, but the guys
at my local Computer Center did a good job of getting it for me and making
sure I had all the info I needed to make it work in my system.  They even
offered to come out and help with the installation.  Try getting that from
a mail order house.

I use it with the 2.2.4 Xenix (again available from Tandy), and the drive/
adpapter combination has been THE most reliable drive/adapter combination
I've ever worked with (the drive by the way is also from Tandy, but I also
have a 44Meg removeable drive from Syquest that works great with the
controller, and a 160Meg drive from Microscience going on next week).

> One of the places you can get the board is at Tandy for about $299.00.
> It comes with a 3 connector cable and installation instructions.

One gripe.  If you buy this board, plan on buying or making a new SCSI
cable.  Unless you have two identical drives placed one right above the
other, the connectors on the Tandy supplied cable are too close together.
Tandy 2.2.4 will let you use 2 drives and one tape device with the
supplied device drivers, and if I remember correctly, there is not a (4th?)
connector available to connect the tape device to if you're going to
use two drives.

The instructions were great, though!

Keep the info flowing Roy.  There are those of us who appreciate it.
James B. O'Connor			jim@tiamat.fsc.com
Filtration Sciences Corporation		615/821-4022 x. 651

*** Altos users unite! mail to "info-altos-request@tiamat.fsc.com" ***