[comp.unix.xenix] more than 8 heads?

tony@killer.Dallas.TX.US (Tony Holden) (04/05/89)

I think I saw this a while back but can't find it anywhere.

I picked up a Fujitsu 72meg hd. with 754 cyl and *11* heads.

Badtrk will scan the entire hd., but mkfs will not give me the entire 70meg
and will also not give a useable filesystem.

Is this because SCO 2.2.3 will not handle more than 8 heads?

Thanks in advance.

Tony Holden					"This space
tony@killer.dallas.tx.us			   for rent."

In article <7759@killer.Dallas.TX.US> tony@killer.Dallas.TX.US (Tony Holden) writes:
>I think I saw this a while back but can't find it anywhere.
>I picked up a Fujitsu 72meg hd. with 754 cyl and *11* heads.
>Badtrk will scan the entire hd., but mkfs will not give me the entire 70meg
>and will also not give a useable filesystem.
>
>Is this because SCO 2.2.3 will not handle more than 8 heads?
>
>Thanks in advance.

Nope.  If your controller is up to it (ie: WD1003-WA2, NOT Wd1002) Xenix
will run with up to 15 heads and 1024 cyls.  The 1024 cyls limitation is due
to SCO deciding to keep the FDISK partition information compatible with
MSDOS.

To get the other heads to work, make sure the flag "control byte" in the
"dkinit" parameters is set to "8".  If it's "0" then you can only access up
to 8 headed drives.

This comes up often enough that I thought it worth posting the response.

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 312 566-8911], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (04/08/89)

In article <7759@killer.Dallas.TX.US>, tony@killer.Dallas.TX.US (Tony Holden) writes:
> I think I saw this a while back but can't find it anywhere.
>
> I picked up a Fujitsu 72meg hd. with 754 cyl and *11* heads.
>
> Badtrk will scan the entire hd., but mkfs will not give me the entire 70meg
> and will also not give a useable filesystem.

This is an old bug (actually in the documentation).  If the disk has
more than 8 heads you need to set the control field to 8 when you
are initializing the disk.  It is in one of the menus when you
set up the drive.

--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX
    uw-beaver!tikal!ssc!fyl or uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl or attmail!ssc!fyl

t-deeps@microsoft.UUCP (Deepak Seth) (04/15/89)

Hello!  I have been looking for the sources and binaries for Xmodem and
Zmodem for Xenix V2.6 or later.   I really need the binaries and it would
be nice to have some documentation and setting up instructions for them.
I was wondering if anyone could e-mail me these binaries and sources.
I have anonymous ftp access, so if you know a archive site please
e-mail me the domain name and the IP numbers of the site.  Thanks in
advance.

Deepak Seth
Microsoft Corp.

Internet:  deepaks@coil.cs.orst.edu