[comp.unix.xenix] stty

root@contact.UUCP (root@contact.uucp) (04/18/89)

 An interesting idea I cam across while trying to fix a user's tty settings.
stty sane will reset the terminal settings of your own terminal, but is there
any way to include (say, for root) the option to affect another user's
terminal? (ie. in my case, the best way to fix the problem would have been to
issue a stty sane at the affected terminal (that way done), but is there
anyway root, or the administrator could issue this in a remote fashion?)
Thanks in advance,

 Martin

daveh@marob.MASA.COM (Dave Hammond) (04/20/89)

In article <506@contact.UUCP> root@contact.UUCP (root@contact.uucp) writes:
> An interesting idea I cam across while trying to fix a user's tty settings.
>stty sane will reset the terminal settings of your own terminal, but is there
>any way to include (say, for root) the option to affect another user's
>terminal? (ie. in my case, the best way to fix the problem would have been to
>issue a stty sane at the affected terminal (that way done), but is there
>anyway root, or the administrator could issue this in a remote fashion?)

Assumging the terminal to be reset is `/dev/tty4a' :

stty sane < /dev/tty4a

BTW, you probably don't have to be `root' to do this, since user's tty
devices are often world-writeable.

--
Dave Hammond
daveh@marob.masa.com