[comp.unix.xenix] tape

terry@tah386.UUCP (Terry Hull) (04/19/89)

I am having trouble with the tape(C) command.  It will reset the tape
drive if I issue the command
        tape reset /dev/rct0

but all the other tape requests (like rewind, erase, reten, and rfm)
just wait till I interrupt them.  The tape drive active light does not
come on at all.  I can read and write the tape with tar, cpio, and
dump.  Any guesses as to the problem?

Related Info:
        Tape is in the devices list printed at boot time.
        Using an Archive short controller (Type A)
        Using a 60 MB Archive tape drive.

Has anyone heard if SCO is still planning to ship 3.2 in May?  If so, will it
be just the OS, or will the Development System ship as well?

Thanks in advance for your help.
--
Terry Hull
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Kansas State University

gillisb@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Brian Gillis) (04/21/89)

In article <528@tah386.UUCP> terry@tah386.UUCP (Terry Hull) writes:
>I am having trouble with the tape(C) command.  It will reset the tape
>drive if I issue the command
>        tape reset /dev/rct0
>
>but all the other tape requests (like rewind, erase, reten, and rfm)
>just wait till I interrupt them.  The tape drive active light does not
>come on at all.  I can read and write the tape with tar, cpio, and
>dump.  Any guesses as to the problem?

When I have had this problem, the interrupt line on the controller card
has not matched my configuration.  What is really strange, is that
tar would work even though it should be interrupt driven.

Hope this helps.

Brian Gillis
gillisb@gsd.UUCP
hp-pcd!gsd!gillisb