[comp.unix.xenix] SCO Xenix for $39.00 - Do you belie

pownell@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (04/14/89)

anybody know if SCO 2.2.1 will run on an IBM Model 50 without too much trouble?

Thats what there selling and $39 bucks ain't bad.  If it works.

How old is 2.2.1   anyway?

will any of the 'DOS add-ins'  ie.  vp/ix & merge work with it?

bryan

pownell@iuvax.silver.indiana.edu
pownell@iubacs

jim@applix.UUCP (Jim Morton) (04/25/89)

In article <15900005@silver>, pownell@silver.bacs.indiana.edu writes:
> anybody know if SCO 2.2.1 will run on an IBM Model 50 without much trouble?
> How old is 2.2.1   anyway? will any of the 'DOS add-ins'  ie.  vp/ix &
> merge work with it?

PS/2 support was added as of 2.2.2, and VGA boot in EGA mode was
added in 2.2.3. There is an upgrade path from 2.2.1 to 2.2.3, it's called
update K/286 or update K/386. VP/ix requires 386/2.2.2 or higher. By the
way, I think the $39 cheapo Xenix they were originally talking about
was 2.1.3 for 286 - the first really solid release for the 286, although
it had its bugs...

--
Jim Morton, APPLiX Inc., Westboro, MA
UUCP: ...harvard!m2c!applix!jim

pitts@hawk.ulowell.edu (David V. Pitts) (04/26/89)

Well, I went ahead and bought the package.  What I got was labelled
Xenix System V 2.2 for the 286.  I have installed it on my system
(which has a 110 M RLL formatted disk) along with DOS.  Everything
seems to be fine; the documentation indicates that the system is System
V conformant.  The manual boxes are labelled ITT, but everything else
refers to SCO.  All in all, I'm pretty satisfied.
David V. Pitts
Computer Science, University of Lowell, One University Avenue, Lowell, MA 01854
Internet: pitts@hawk.ulowell.edu