[comp.unix.xenix] using a Logitech Bus Mouse with SCO 2.3.1

jim@tiamat.fsc.com (Jim O'Connor) (04/11/89)

After consulting the SCO "General Compatibility" section of the release notes
for 2.3.1 to make sure I purchased a supported product, I bought a Logitech
Bus Mouse.  I have RTFM'd and followed all the procedures for mouse
installation and use, documented therein.  Here's what I did:

- set Logitech board to use INT 5 (no lpt2 present so it should be OK)
- installed board, verified hardware by booting DOS and running mouse test
  program provided by Logitech
- went to single user mode in Xenix, did "mkdev mouse", follwed inst. for
  Logitech bus mouse associated with the "multiscreen" only, linked and
  installed new kernel without error messages
- re-booted system, a "mouse" device does not show up in the device list
  displayed during boot (I start getting worried)
- tried running "usemouse" and get: (now I'm really worried)
  d_open: unable to open device ``/dev/mouse/bus0'' for read only
  ev_open: error attaching device
  usemouse: cannot open event queue(6)
- tried running VP/ix with "MOUSE   /dev/mouse/vpix0" defined and get:
  Error 6 opening mouse file /dev/mouse/vpix0
  Press Enter to Continue

Now, I'm really concerned, cause it's only in VP/ix that I really want to use
the mouse anyway.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I can proabably trade the Bus mouse
back in for a Serial mouse, but I'd like to be able to use the Bus mouse
(and not tie up a serial port), especially since the docs say you can.
-------------
James B. O'Connor			jim@tiamat.fsc.com
Filtration Sciences Corporation		615/821-4022 x. 651

*** Altos users unite! mail to "info-altos-request@tiamat.fsc.com" ***

jim@tiamat.fsc.com (Jim O'Connor) (04/13/89)

In article <528@tiamat.fsc.com>, jim@tiamat.fsc.com (Jim O'Connor) writes:
   [ stuff about not being able to get a Logitech bus mouse to work ]

> Now, I'm really concerned, cause it's only in VP/ix that I really want to use
> the mouse anyway.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I can proabably trade the Bus mouse
> back in for a Serial mouse, but I'd like to be able to use the Bus mouse
> (and not tie up a serial port), especially since the docs say you can.

I received the same suggestion from two sources on how to get my mouse
going.  Thanks to root@radier (Bob Reineri) and jbayer@ispi (John Bayer).
The set up goes like this:

1) use all SCO utilities to install mouse
2) boot DOS
3) run a program to use the mouse (such as the INSTALL program that comes
   with the mouse)
4) warm-boot Xenix (i.e. hit Cntl-Alt-Del)
5) Xenix should now show a mouse device during the boot messages

If the power goes off, or you need to do a cold-boot (i.e. push reset button),
repeat steps 2 - 5.

This is still only a partial solution.  Hopefully, a more robust solution
will be forthcoming.  SCO has received my e-mail and is working on it.
-------------

shepperd@dms.UUCP (Dave Shepperd) (04/15/89)

From article <532@tiamat.fsc.com>, by jim@tiamat.fsc.com (Jim O'Connor):
> In article <528@tiamat.fsc.com>, jim@tiamat.fsc.com (Jim O'Connor) writes:
>    [ stuff about not being able to get a Logitech bus mouse to work ]
>>
> 1) use all SCO utilities to install mouse
> 2) boot DOS
> 3) run a program to use the mouse (such as the INSTALL program that comes
>    with the mouse)
> 4) warm-boot Xenix (i.e. hit Cntl-Alt-Del)
> 5) Xenix should now show a mouse device during the boot messages

I had the same problem on two separate 386 systems. Booting DOS first only
made the mouse show up a couple of times. Nine times out of ten, no mouse.
Kinda what I did:

begin_frustration()
{
    for (aggravation=0;aggravation<4;++aggravation) {
        put mouse on 386_system[aggravation&1];
        do {
	    Power up, boot DOS, test the mouse, mouse works just fine.
	    Warm boot Xenix, verify no mouse present, haltsys, warm boot DOS.
	    Test mouse on DOS, it don't work (diags say not responding).
	    Press hardware reset on the system, boot dos, STILL NO MOUSE.
        } while (!completly_fed_up);
        if (aggravation == 1)
	    Take the mouse back to the store, exchange it for a new one.
     }
    Take the mouse back to the store, exchange it for a serial version;
    return happy;
}

Exactly twice the Xenix system came up with a mouse, but one of those
times the Logitech mouse thought it was a Microsoft mouse or something
because it was sending all sorts of wierd stuff.

I can't recommend using a Logitech bus mouse with a Xenix system.
--

Dave Shepperd.	    shepperd@dms.UUCP or weitek!dms!shepperd
Atari Games Corporation, Sycamore Drive, Milpitas CA 95035.

mikej@lilink.UUCP (Michael R. Johnston) (04/17/89)

I hate to brag guys( 8) ) but I have a Logitech Mouse installed
on my 386 and it works just perfectly. I am using INT 3 if that makes
a difference. The mouse is one of the older sqaure type mouses. NOT
the newer rounder (ergonomic) style. Even from a COLD boot Xenix
recognizes it just fine. Perhaps the interupt is the problem?

stratton@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Jim Stratton) (04/21/89)

>In article <589@lilink.UUCP>, mikej@lilink.UUCP (Michael R. Johnston) writes:
>> I hate to brag guys( 8) ) but I have a Logitech Mouse installed
>> on my 386 and it works just perfectly. I am using INT 3 if that makes
>> a difference. The mouse is one of the older sqaure type mouses. NOT
>> the newer rounder (ergonomic) style. Even from a COLD boot Xenix
>> recognizes it just fine. Perhaps the interupt is the problem?
>
>Actually, I think the cause is omething else.  Some recent research indicates
>that the cause might be connected to the "number of bit of I/O address
>decoding" that the system bus performs.  For instance, on Mike's system,

[bootlogs and accompanying discussion omitted]

>In the mean time, if anyone has a Logitech bus mouse which works consistantly
>from COLD BOOT (power up or reset) and also gets the "10 bits of I/O address
>decoding" message, please let me know.  Conversely, if you DO NOT get the
>"10 bits" message and the mouse DOES NOT work, let me know as well.

I run SCO 2.3.1 on a 386 with a Logitech HiRez bus mouse and have no problems
in Xenix.  I also get the "10 bits of I/O address decoding" message at bootup.
The mouse is on the 2nd parallel interrupt (IRQ 5 I think).  Mouse comes up
everytime in Xenix, warm or cold boot.  However, the mouse is NEVER recognized
when I warm boot from my DOS 3.3 partition AFTER having run Xenix... it
always takes a cold boot in this situation to remedy the mouse with DOS.

Hope this helps.

Jim Stratton
(408) 447-1768
hplabs.hp.com!hpcupt1!stratton

jim@tiamat.fsc.com (Jim O'Connor) (04/22/89)

In article <6340001@hpcupt1.HP.COM>, stratton@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Jim Stratton) writes:

> I run SCO 2.3.1 on a 386 with a Logitech HiRez bus mouse and have no problems
> in Xenix.  I also get the "10 bits of I/O address decoding" message at bootup.
> The mouse is on the 2nd parallel interrupt (IRQ 5 I think).  Mouse comes up
> everytime in Xenix, warm or cold boot.  However, the mouse is NEVER recognized
> when I warm boot from my DOS 3.3 partition AFTER having run Xenix... it
> always takes a cold boot in this situation to remedy the mouse with DOS.

I believe, after looking at several of them, that the bus board used by the
Logitech HiRez Mouse is not exactly the same as the board used by the
"regular" bus mouse.  This could explain the difference.  Although it does help
me out, since I could trade my "regular" one for a HiRez model.

So far, responses from others with the "regular" Logitech mouse have supported
the theory.

> Hope this helps.

A little, at least.
-------------

jim@applix.UUCP (Jim Morton) (04/25/89)

In article <540@tiamat.fsc.com>, jim@tiamat.fsc.com (Jim O'Connor) writes:
> that the cause might be connected to the "number of bit of I/O address
> decoding" that the system bus performs.  For instance, on Mike's system,
> on which the mouse works from COLD boot, the following boot output is
> generated:
> 		*A10 bits of I/O address decoding

What this means is that you can't use I/O port addresses higher than 0x3FF,
like some newer serial port cards use. (The "standard" AT serial/parallel
adapter lives at INT 4, IO 0x3F8 for the serial portion) Also, PS/2 machines
have I/O port addresses higher than 0x3FF. Can anyone post a listing of what
AT bus machines go above 0x3FF ??
--
Jim Morton, APPLiX Inc., Westboro, MA
UUCP: ...harvard!m2c!applix!jim

jim@tiamat.fsc.com (Jim O'Connor) (04/27/89)

In article <963@applix.UUCP>, jim@applix.UUCP (Jim Morton) writes:
> In article <540@tiamat.fsc.com>, jim@tiamat.fsc.com (Jim O'Connor) writes:
> > 		*A10 bits of I/O address decoding
>
> What this means is that you can't use I/O port addresses higher than 0x3FF,
> like some newer serial port cards use. (The "standard" AT serial/parallel
> adapter lives at INT 4, IO 0x3F8 for the serial portion) Also, PS/2 machines

Oh well, maybe it is just a coincidence then, cause when the mouse board
actually works, it is reported to be found at 0x23C.  Perhaps until it is
"initialized" by the DOS program, the board is waiting to be addressed at
something > 0x3FF, and thus XENIX doesn't see it.  Any one out there know
enough about the Logitech bus board to answer this?