[comp.unix.xenix] Tandy 16/6000 Xenix 3.2 'cc' problems

sl@unifax.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) (04/21/89)

In article <516@coyote.UUCP> ejm@coyote.UUCP (E.J. McKernan) writes:
>It seems that in tandys latest development system that "cc" only
>supports 8 significant characters. The assembler on the other hand

>will support more than 8 chars? If not, how about a utility that will
>take source, and replace identifiers/names with shorter (<8) char
>id's?

It's called hash8 and comes with a replacement cc program (lcc). Last person
I heard that was doing anything with it was Geoff Kuenning. Last address I
have is:
	geoff@ITcorp.com {uunet,trwrb}!desint!geoff

It works quite nicely on my Callan. Allows us to run elm 2.2 without any
problem.

--
Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca uunet!van-bc!sl 604-937-7532(voice) 604-939-4768(fax)

gordon@sneaky.UUCP (Gordon Burditt) (04/21/89)

>It seems that in tandys latest development system that "cc" only
>supports 8 significant characters. The assembler on the other hand
>supports 31(?) or so. This leads to large problems in porting software

Using the 3.2.0 development system upgrade with the 3.0.0 development
system:

	cc -+ -o foo foo.c

gives 32-character significant preprocessor symbols, and 31-plus-underscore
significant external names.  With or without the -+ option, which isn't
passed to them anyway, the assembler and linker still support 50 characters
maximum (as distinguished from 50 characters significant).

(Don't confuse the version number of the "Xenix Multiuser Operating System"
with the version number of the "Xenix Development System", even though
they both have a 3.2).

					Gordon L. Burditt
					...!texbell!sneaky!gordon

Disclaimer:  The opinions expressed in this article are not necessarily
those of any organization, living or dead.

mikes@ncoast.ORG (Mike Squires) (04/27/89)

In article <516@coyote.UUCP> ejm@coyote.UUCP (E.J. McKernan) writes:
>It seems that in tandys latest development system that "cc" only
>supports 8 significant characters. The assembler on the other hand
>supports 31(?) or so. This leads to large problems in porting software
>that has names of greater than 7 chars (cc adds an underscore). Does
>anyone know if the new development system that's been talked about
>will support more than 8 chars? If not, how about a utility that will
>take source, and replace identifiers/names with shorter (<8) char
>id's?

The 3.2 Development System, long in beta test, has longnames.  There are
some simple utilities (police, among others) that will help find the
names that conflict.  One crude but effetive solution is to compile to
an assembler file and then sort it - the duplicate names will lie next
to each other and you can go from there.