[comp.unix.xenix] timekeeping

fff@mplex.UUCP (Fred Fierling) (04/21/89)

Can someone tell me why it is that Xenix keeps such lousy time?

We are running various flavours of SCO Xenix on true blue IBM AT's
and Hewlett Packard Vectra RS/20's (386) and none of these machines
keeps time better than a $20 watch.  Systems are often 5 minutes slow
in a week.

I'm sure that the Motorola 146818 can keep better time than this, so
what is responsible?

Forgive and email me if this is a trite question, but I've seen no
mention of it in the last two months.
--
Fred Fierling    Tel: 604 875-1461   Microplex Systems Ltd, 265 East 1st Avenue
uunet!mplex!fff  Fax: 604 875-9029   Vancouver, BC, V5T 1A7, Canada

bill@bilver.UUCP (bill vermillion) (04/22/89)

In article <275@mplex.UUCP> fff@mplex.UUCP (Fred Fierling) writes:
>Can someone tell me why it is that Xenix keeps such lousy time?
>
>We are running various flavours of SCO Xenix on true blue IBM AT's
>and Hewlett Packard Vectra RS/20's (386) and none of these machines
>keeps time better than a $20 watch.  Systems are often 5 minutes slow
>in a week.

I have one site with 10 SCO installations.  Time keeping varies primarily
depending on hardward.

Go to your "Run Time Environment" SCO manual, turn to the HW section, and look
at the command clockrate.  You will have to try different values until you get
it right for the machine you are running on.

This works while the machine is running.   Since you only look at the clock on
boot-up Xenix is keeping time the rest of the time.  If time changes when the
machines are powered off it is hardware.

--
Bill Vermillion - UUCP: {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd}!peora!rtmvax!bilver!bill
                      : bill@bilver.UUCP

jim@applix.UUCP (Jim Morton) (04/28/89)

In article <521@bilver.UUCP>, bill@bilver.UUCP (bill vermillion) writes:
> This works while the machine is running.   Since you only look at the clock on
> boot-up Xenix is keeping time the rest of the time.  If time changes when the
> machines are powered off it is hardware.

Note also that Xenix nicely resets the hardware clock every night from cron
with the following crontab entry:

1 2 * * * cat -s /dev/clock >/dev/null 2>&1 || exit 0;/etc/setclock `date +\%m\%d\%H\%M\%y`

So changes you make to the time while running Xenix get reflected back into
the hardware clock...if you can't get your clockrate in Xenix set right and
you reboot every day, you may want to disable this cron entry.
--
Jim Morton, APPLiX Inc., Westboro, MA
UUCP: ...harvard!m2c!applix!jim