[comp.unix.xenix] su uucp in crontabs/root ?

edhew@egvideo.UUCP (Ed Hew) (04/29/89)

In article <75@norsat.UUCP> dave@norsat.UUCP (Dave Binette) writes:
>Our SCO XENIX 2.3.1 installation of usenet news suggests installing lines
>such as 9,39 * * * * ulimit 5000; /bin/su -c "/usr/lib/uucp/uu...
>
>Can anyone tell me why this 'su' is neccessary?

Without any research or certainty, I will hazard a guess that many sites
would have restricted fileperms on some if not all of the files accessed
by these crontabs entries, hence the need for a bit more power via the su
command.  I know that's the case here on my site.

If anyone in SCO SoftTech is looking at this, a confirmation or correction
is welcome.

>The OS supports multiple crontabs:
>/usr/spool/cron/crontabs/root
>/usr/spool/cron/crontabs/uucp
>/usr/spool/cron/crontabs/news
>
>and enables them with:
>/usr/lib/cron/cron.allow which contains:
>root
>uucp
>news

Well, I don't know if the word "enable" is the correct one to be using here.
It's my understanding that if you have a cron.allow file, then the specific
user must be included in order for that user (root, uucp, news all being
users for the sake of this particular part of the discussion) to be able
to issue a cron'd command.  If you *don't* create the cron.allow file, then
the contents of the cron.deny file in /usr/lib/cron will take precedence
in the opposite manner.

>The new crontab is enabled with the command:
>crontab [filename]

Ok, what we're doing here is "installing" the new (modified) crontabs
entry (read: modified file), ie, telling cron that changes have been
made and/or that the file has been created (if it's a new file).

I would caution to always install the file with crontab while logged
in as the user who's name you want the file to bear.  For eg. if you
log in as root and use crontab to install your "uucp" crontabs file,
there is a very good chance that crontabs will overwrite your existing
root file with the contents of your uucp file, which is *not* what you
want to do.  I was not at all amused when that happened to me.

>( I get strange behaviour if i just edit the crontab/uucp file without
>  submitting the changes via crontab {like it gets ignored} )

The last time I read RTFM, it said somethink like:
"Cron reads the contents of /usr/spool/cron/crontabs _periodically_".

"periodically" appears to mean when cron is restarted, which normally
happens on bootup, however if you already have used crontab to initially
install your /usr/spool/cron/crontabs/uucp file, then merely killing off
cron and restarting at an opportune moment will force cron to read it.

The crontabs command in it's current incarnation is new to 2.3.1 (SCO).
Previously, merely killing and restarting cron would always do the trick.

		--ed		{edhew@egvideo.uucp}

>usenet:  {uunet,ubc-cs}!van-bc!norsat!dave     (Dave Binette)

  Ed. A. Hew	       Technical Trainer	       Xeni/Con Corporation
  work:  edhew@xenicon.uucp	 -or-	 ..!{uunet!}utai!lsuc!xenicon!edhew
  home:	 edhew@egvideo.uucp	 -or-	   ..!{uunet!}watmath!egvideo!edhew
  # I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on floppy around here somewhere!