[comp.unix.xenix] sco xenix-net and bsd4.3

reneni@wundt.psy.vu.nl (Rene Nieuwboer) (04/27/89)

I think I have a couple of simple questions.

1) What is the status of the SCO Xenix-Net package?
2) What is the compatibility with BSD4.3 networking?
   Can you easily connect it with 2.10/4.3 machines?
   Does it support SLIP (for those poor guys without Ethernet or Ring)?
3) If anyone has used it, how much does it cost?

Thanks in advance for all those answers.

Rene Nieuwboer, Computersection Psychology, VU, Amsterdam, Holland.
(reneni@psy.vu.nl, compd@psy.vu.nl)

bruce@mdi386.UUCP (Bruce A. McIntyre) (04/30/89)

In article <495@wundt.psy.vu.nl>, reneni@wundt.psy.vu.nl (Rene Nieuwboer) writes:
> 1) What is the status of the SCO Xenix-Net package?
> 2) What is the compatibility with BSD4.3 networking?
>    Can you easily connect it with 2.10/4.3 machines?
>    Does it support SLIP (for those poor guys without Ethernet or Ring)?
> 3) If anyone has used it, how much does it cost?
> Rene Nieuwboer, Computersection Psychology, VU, Amsterdam, Holland.
> (reneni@psy.vu.nl, compd@psy.vu.nl)
We are using Xenix-Net primarily to provide a few DOS users access to
the XENIX machines in an invisible fashion.  We also use it to provide
access to a FAX board in a PC.  Since the FAX home directory exists on
a virtual drive on a XENIX host, people have only to deposit there faxes
in that directory, and the FAX system will send them.. I first tried running
the fax board under VPIX, but it would crash the system.  This seems to work
well.  We also use the XENIX-Net for file transfers and mail.  NOTE:
We are using only ASYNC-NET (rs232 @ 9600) for this as the speed requirements
were secondary to the cost requirements.  When we purchases the first sytem,
it included a single server, and a single PC ASYNC-NET version.  We are
running Xenix386 2.2.3 with the connections on an ARNET SmartPort board.
They supply RFS drivers for those that need it.(Version 2.3.x)
Cost to use was about $800 for the setup.  We also use it to provide
printer services to the remote PC as well.  We bought additional copies
of the PC-ASYNCNET to work with this for more PC's. (don't remember thecost)

I have used the patches on SMAIL to work with our XENIX-NET network, and
uses have VTP for unix sessions as well as PC-DOS sessions.
I would have probably used PC-INTERFACE from LOCUS if it was available for
XENIX386, as it could do most of the same thing, but they said they would
only support XENIX386 V.3.x and above...
bruce
	Bruce A. McIntyre, McIntyre Designs, Inc. VOICE(215)322-1895
	143 Bridgetown Pike, Langhorne, Pa. 19047 DATA (215)357-2915
	{wells|lgnp1|prapc2}!mdi386!bruce	bruce@wells tbit+

	Unix, Xenix, Netware and PC-DOS Applications development.
	Specializing in Database Applications since 1980.