[comp.unix.xenix] VP/ix keyboard problem

dfm@sagepub.UUCP (David F. McCune) (04/16/89)

I am running VP/ix on a Xenix 2.3.1 system on an Everex
Step/25 machine. When I run many DOS applications from the
console using VP/ix, the system seems to buffer one keystroke
until a second key is hit.  Once the second key is hit, both
keystrokes are executed.

For example, when I run Quattro and hit the right-arrow key,
the cursor doesn't move.  But if I hit the right-arrow key
again, it moves two cells.

Obviously, this behavior makes VP/ix almost useless for many
interactive applications.

Have I configured VP/ix incorrectly?  Does anyone know of
a fix or workaround?

Thanks much!

David

--
                 David McCune, Sage Publications, Inc.
           2111 West Hillcrest Drive, Newbury Park, CA 91320

mikej@lilink.UUCP (Michael R. Johnston) (04/26/89)

In article <1316@sagepub.UUCP> dfm@sagepub.UUCP (David F. McCune) writes:
>When I run many DOS applications from the
>console using VP/ix, the system seems to buffer one keystroke
>until a second key is hit.  Once the second key is hit, both
>keystrokes are executed.

I have experienced the same problem on an HP Vectra QS/16. SCO is aware
of this problem and it is supposed to be fixed in an upcoming release
of VP/ix. DOS 3.3 is also going to be included. I think that it may have
already begun shipping. Someone correct me on this.

--
Michael R. Johnston
System Administrator   {..!decvax!mergvax! | ..!cmcl2!hombre!} lilink!mikej

tbetz@lilink.UUCP (Tom Betz) (04/26/89)

Quoth mikej@lilink.UUCP (Michael R. Johnston) in <602@lilink.UUCP>:
|In article <1316@sagepub.UUCP> dfm@sagepub.UUCP (David F. McCune) writes:
|>When I run many DOS applications from the
|>console using VP/ix, the system seems to buffer one keystroke
|>until a second key is hit.  Once the second key is hit, both
|>keystrokes are executed.
|
|I have experienced the same problem on an HP Vectra QS/16. SCO is aware
|of this problem and it is supposed to be fixed in an upcoming release
|of VP/ix. DOS 3.3 is also going to be included. I think that it may have
|already begun shipping. Someone correct me on this.

I'm using VP/ix 1.1, which includes DOS 3.3.  At least on my Wyse
3216, it still has the keyboard buffering problem.  I am also
limited (using the WY-995 serial card) to running all my
terminals at 9600 bps, whether or not the terminal in question is
running VP/ix.   Another annoyance.  As I have heard that SCO is
abandoning VP/ix for DOSmerge in future releases, don't expect
either of these things to be fixed anytime soon.

|--
|Michael R. Johnston
|System Administrator   {..!decvax!mergvax! | ..!cmcl2!hombre!} lilink!mikej
|LILINK - Public Access Xenix   (516) 872-2137  1200/2400 8N1  Login: new

--
"Still I sing bonny boys, bonny mad boys,      |  Tom Betz, 114 Woodworth Ave.
 Bedlam boys are bonny, for they all go bare,  |    Yonkers, NY 10701-2509

bill@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Bill Frolik) (04/26/89)

I recall reading somewhere that this was a known bug.
Since any second keystroke will get your first keystroke to be read,
the workaround is to hit a modifier key -- ctrl, alt, or shift --
if the first keystroke doesn't do anything.

Bill Frolik			Hewlett-Packard
hplabs!{hp-pcd,hpcvlx}!bill	Corvallis, Oregon

dfm@sagepub.UUCP (David F. McCune) (05/01/89)

I am using vp/ix with Xenix 2.3.1 on an Everex 386/25.  With
most of the applications I run on the console, vpix seems to
handle the keyboard incorrectly.  Vpix seems to buffer characters,
so that it waits until two characters have been entered before
it responds.  For example, if I run Quattro and hit the right
arrow key to move to the adjacent cell, nothing happens.  But
if I hit right arrow again, the cursor jumps two cells to the
right.  This same behavior occurs in 1-2-3, R:base, and many
others.  It makes vpix almost useless.  Has anyone seen this
behavior and know of a fix/workaround?  Thanks much!

David

--

frank@rsoft.bc.ca (Frank I. Reiter) (05/02/89)

In article <603@lilink.UUCP> tbetz@.UUCP (Tom Betz) writes:
>As I have heard that SCO is abandoning VP/ix for DOSmerge in future releases,
>don't expect either of these things to be fixed anytime soon.

For the record, I queried SCO about this and the official word is that they will
continue to update and support VP/ix
Frank I. Reiter              UUCP:  {uunet,ubc-cs}!van-bc!rsoft!frank
Reiter Software Inc.                frank@rsoft.bc.ca,  a2@mindlink.UUCP
Langley, British Columbia     BBS:  Mind Link @ (604)533-2312, login as Guest