[comp.unix.xenix] SCO-Interactive-Locus love triangle

mikej@lilink.UUCP (Michael R. Johnston) (04/26/89)

In article <603@lilink.UUCP> tbetz@.UUCP (Tom Betz) writes:
>I'm using VP/ix 1.1, which includes DOS 3.3.  At least on my Wyse
>3216, it still has the keyboard buffering problem.  I am also
>limited (using the WY-995 serial card) to running all my
>terminals at 9600 bps, whether or not the terminal in question is
>running VP/ix.   Another annoyance.  As I have heard that SCO is
>abandoning VP/ix for DOSmerge in future releases, don't expect
>either of these things to be fixed anytime soon.

I'm not sure what the release version is so I can't comment on whether
or not your version has the fix or not. As to SCO abandoning VP/ix
I'm not sure. If they are they are certainly keeping it quiet. I recently
read through a blurb on the "Real-soon-now" Open Desktop product. They
very quietly slipped in on the last page the "Dos Under Unix" module.
According to the blurb it WILL be DOSmerge.

I suspect that this is the case. At the Unix Expo in NY in Nov, I spoke with
a sales rep for Interactive. He said that basically VP/ix developement was
coming to a standstill over at SCO but didn't say why. Probably a major factor
in the switch would be that the DOSmerge product supports X-windows and
VP/ix does not.

The end result is that if you are NOT using the Open Desktop product or
if you continue to use Xenix 2.3 then you will be working with VP/ix.
Otherwise DOSmerge is your interface. I don't think that SCO will abandon
VP/ix. They have too many copies of it installed already. I don't think we
will see much in the way of improvements though.

In recent conversations with SCO they have spoken of two upcoming events
for VP/ix:

a- An UPGRADE of the current version to fix bugs prevalent in current releases.
   This is either shipping now or will be shipping soon.

b- A new VERSION that is supposedly going to work with Unix 5.3 when it is
   released. This is projected for later in the year.

Your guess is as good as mine when it comes to the SCO-Interactive-Locus
love triangle 8-)

--
Michael R. Johnston
System Administrator   {..!decvax!mergvax! | ..!cmcl2!hombre!} lilink!mikej

stacy@mcl.UUCP (Stacy L. Millions) (04/30/89)

In article <604@lilink.UUCP>, mikej@lilink.UUCP (Michael R. Johnston) writes:
> In article <603@lilink.UUCP> tbetz@.UUCP (Tom Betz) writes:
> >I'm using VP/ix 1.1, which includes DOS 3.3.

VP/ix 1.0 the "controlled release" and 1.1 both ship with DOS 3.2,
you can use whatever version of DOS you want, but SCO will only support
the one they ship with it. Update A brings you up to 1.1.1 and
adds DOS 3.3.

> >                                             At least on my Wyse
> >3216, it still has the keyboard buffering problem...

SCO seems to think the new update will fix the problem:

	"A new 'urgent interrupt scheme' is used for critical respone-time
	functions such as mouse motion and keyboard echo."

			SCO's _DiSCOver_ March/April 1989

> >                Another annoyance.  As I have heard that SCO is
> >abandoning VP/ix for DOSmerge in future releases, don't expect
> >either of these things to be fixed anytime soon.

> ..... As to SCO abandoning VP/ix
> I'm not sure. If they are they are certainly keeping it quiet. I recently
> read through a blurb on the "Real-soon-now" Open Desktop product. They
> very quietly slipped in on the last page the "Dos Under Unix" module.
> According to the blurb it WILL be DOSmerge.

According to my sales rep at SCO, merge is only for use with Open Desktop.
SCO will contiune to support VP/ix for general use.

> a- An UPGRADE of the current version to fix bugs prevalent in current releases

Upgrade A that I mentioned earlier, brings you to release 1.1.1

> b- A new VERSION that is supposedly going to work with Unix 5.3 when it is
>    released. This is projected for later in the year.

	"SCO will continue improving SCO VP/ix as a key element of its
	product line. Look for SCO VP/ix Release 1.2, which will cor-
	respond to the forthcoming SCO UNIX System V/386 Release 3.2
	Operating System, later in 1989."

			SCO's _DiSCOver_ March/April 1989

I hope they live up to thier words.

-stacy
--
"Praise the Lord and pass the tax rebate!"
                             - Friar Tuck, Walt Disney's _Robin Hood_

S. L. Millions             Millions Computing Ltd.             tmsoft!mcl!stacy

rosso@sco.COM (Ross Oliver) (05/02/89)

In article <603@lilink.UUCP> tbetz@.UUCP (Tom Betz) writes:

    As I have heard that SCO is
    abandoning VP/ix for DOSmerge in future releases, don't expect
    either of these things to be fixed anytime soon.

In article <604@lilink.UUCP> mikej@lilink.UUCP (Michael R. Johnston) writes:

    Your guess is as good as mine when it comes to the SCO-Interactive-Locus
    love triangle 8-)

Several weeks ago, I posted a statement on SCO's official position
regarding VP/ix and DOS Merge.  It is somewhat lengthy (about 50 lines),
so I won't repost, but I will e-mail copies on request.  The essence
of the statement is that SCO will continue to support and improve VP/ix
on the SCO XENIX 386 and SCO UNIX System V/386 platforms.  We are offering
DOS Merge with our Open Desktop program because Merge is better optimized
for the SCO Xsight (i.e. X Windows) environment.

Ross Oliver
Technical Support
The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.