[comp.unix.xenix] GCC on Xenix 2.3.1

kayvan@mrspoc.UUCP (Kayvan Sylvan) (05/02/89)

I have gotten gcc 1.34 to compile and run (with some coercion) on
our Wyse 386 Xenix 2.3.1.

Unfortunately, gcc outputs AT&T stye assembler syntax which masm (the
Xenix assembler) won't accept. I have brought up gas-1.31 on this machine
and I could probably get GCC to work with gas and gld, but this would
mean that the object formats would not be compatible with the current
compiler and standard libraries.

I would *love* to get a real compiler (read GCC) up on this Xenix system.

There is a masm386.c module in gcc which does not seem to be used.

If some kind soul out there has a solution (or suggestions) please mail
me.

Thanks. (My address is mrspoc!kayvan@apple.com)

			---Kayvan
--
Kayvan Sylvan @ Transact Software, Inc. -*-  Mountain View, CA (415) 961-6112
Internet: mrspoc!kayvan@apple.com UUCP: ...!{apple,pyramid,mips}!mrspoc!kayvan

daveb@gonzo.UUCP (Dave Brower) (05/03/89)

In article <7326@mrspoc.UUCP> kayvan@mrspoc.UUCP (Kayvan Sylvan) writes:

>I have gotten gcc 1.34 to compile and run (with some coercion) on
>our Wyse 386 Xenix 2.3.1.
>
>Unfortunately, gcc outputs AT&T stye assembler syntax which masm (the
>Xenix assembler) won't accept. I have brought up gas-1.31 on this machine
>and I could probably get GCC to work with gas and gld, but this would
>mean that the object formats would not be compatible with the current
>compiler and standard libraries.
>
>I would *love* to get a real compiler (read GCC) up on this Xenix system.
>
>There is a masm386.c module in gcc which does not seem to be used.

As John Gilmore pointed out to me in private mail, the best answer is
"wait for 3.2", when you can use the at&t assembler.  I had hoped to use
gcc on 2.3.1, but gave that up as impractical.

Congratulations on getting it to boot-- I ended up cross compiling with
gcc on another machine rather than try to fight Microsoft-C.

-dB

--
"An expert is someone who's right 75% of the time"
{sun,mtxinu,amdahl,hoptoad}!rtech!gonzo!daveb	daveb@gonzo.uucp