[comp.unix.xenix] My fsck is broken

bjm@sabin.UUCP (Brendan J. McMahon) (04/25/89)

We are switching over to a 386 Intel running SCO 2.3.1.
I have set up 2 filesystems root 200 + megs and /u 90 Meg.
We have about 10 meg of memory.

fsck runs fine on the /u file system.

when run with any type of option (I have tried them all) on the root
filesystem it seems to start out ok

/dev/root
** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes

Then about 1 minute later the prompt comes back.  No error messages, never a
mention of continuing with phase 2.   No errors in bootlog.

I do not have a /dev/scratch.  I have tried setting SCRATCH=/dev/rfd...
in /etc/default/boot.  And also tried the -t option with /dev/fd0.  No change.
I have altered /etc/default/filesys many times and nothing has helped.

Help appreciated anyone!  Thanks.

--
Brendan J. McMahon
Sabin Metal Corp. |     Refiners of Precious Metals    | Hardware Trouble?

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (05/04/89)

In article <210@sabin.UUCP> bjm@sabin.UUCP (Brendan J. McMahon) writes:
}
}I have set up 2 filesystems root 200 + megs and /u 90 Meg.
}We have about 10 meg of memory.
}
}fsck runs fine on the /u file system.
}
}when run with any type of option (I have tried them all) on the root
}filesystem it seems to start out ok
}
}/dev/root
}** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
}
}Then about 1 minute later the prompt comes back.  No error messages, never a
}mention of continuing with phase 2.   No errors in bootlog.

Call SCO.  There is a fix disk for this problem (the number is not
available at the present time, sorry)

JB
--
Jonathan Bayer			      Beware: The light at the end of the
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.	      tunnel may be an oncoming dragon

itkin@mrspoc.UUCP (ps -f) (05/04/89)

In article <210@sabin.UUCP> bjm@sabin.UUCP (Brendan J. McMahon) writes:
> when run with any type of option (I have tried them all) on the root
> filesystem it seems to start out ok
> Then about 1 minute later the prompt comes back.  No error messages, never a
> mention of continuing with phase 2.   No errors in bootlog.

We had this problem.  SCO has a solution!  Just call them and they'll send
you the disk to fix it.  For us, the problem ONLY occurred with the root
file system and it was a major problem.