[comp.unix.xenix] Gnu Emacs?

ta-ari@CUNIXB.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Ari Shamash) (05/04/89)

Hello there, Networld!

Has anybody managed to get GNU emacs compiled and running?  I have
heard it is possible, but I would like to find out how difficult it is
to do before I attempt to do it.  Does anybody have any advice?

Thanks,
Ari

INTERNET:  ta-ari@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu	      See no evil,
BITNET:    ta-ari@cunixc.bitnet			       Hear no evil,
UUCP:      ...!rutgers!columbia!cunixc!ta-ari		Speak no evil.
ALTERNATE: ny-yn!ari@hombre.masa.com

terry@eecea.eece.ksu.edu (Terry Hull) (05/04/89)

In article <8905041409.AA01880@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu> ta-ari@CUNIXB.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Ari Shamash) writes:
>Hello there, Networld!
>
>Has anybody managed to get GNU emacs compiled and running?  I have
>heard it is possible, but I would like to find out how difficult it is
>to do before I attempt to do it.  Does anybody have any advice?

I thought several people might be interested, so I decided to post my
response.

If you have XENIX V/386, you can get the GNU distribution and compile
it be just editing the Makefiles and config.h.  No problem except you
need a little disk space.  (The full distribution is over 8 MB.)  If
you have XENIX V/286, GNU Emacs is not worth the trouble.  It depends
on 32 bit integers, has a massive array used for lisp storage, and
would be VERY slow on the '286 even if you could get it to run.  For
'286 folks, I would recommend Jove or one of the versions of
MicroEmacs.

I've been using GNU Emacs as my main editor on a XENIX machine for
about 18 months now.  It runs better (faster) there than it does on
an AT&T 3B15.  If there are specific questions, please send me mail.

--
Terry Hull
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Kansas State University

bill@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Bill Frolik) (05/05/89)

I ported version 18.52 to SCO XENIX/386 a few months ago, and use it
all the time.  I've tar'ed it up and put it in the ftp/pub directory
on hplabs!hpcvaaz (aka 'dizzy', 15.255.72.15), where you should be
able to get it via anonymous ftp.  (The tar file is over 7 Mbytes,
and should be untared into /usr/local/emacs).

Bill Frolik		Hewlett-Packard
{hplabs!}hp-pcd!bill	Corvallis, Oregon