[comp.unix.xenix] More questions.....

wnp@killer.UUCP (Wolf Paul) (01/28/88)

In article <1080@bc-cis.UUCP> raanan@bc-cis.UUCP (Raanan Herrmann) writes:

>	1. I would like to clarify an old question that I posted once:
>
>	When you become a Super-User through the `su` command (NOT when
>you log in as root), PATH is set in a way that I don't like. Aparantly
>no .profile file is executed (defenitely not /.profile) and so I don't
>know how to make PATH be the way I want a soon as I become SU. Any body
>has any ideas? In berkely unix (the system that I know), the environment
>is taken from the current environment.

According to my System V documentation (and also according to my experience)
typing "su -" (to become root) or "su - name" (to become user 'name') will
cause the .profile for the appropriate user (root or named user) to be read.

It also causes the shell specified in /etc/passwd to be used, instead of
/bin/sh, thus if you prefer csh but don't want to mess with the normal
root account, you could set up an alternate account with the same UID and GID
as root, but called something like "sysop", and with /bin/csh in the passwd
entry. Then "su - sysop" will put you into a csh environment with root
privileges.

Wolf N. Paul
ihnp4!killer!dcs

fargo@pawl.rpi.edu (Irwin M. Fargo) (05/10/89)

I have a few more questions about SCO Xenix.....

I'm just setting up my system and am having trouble dialing out at 9600 bps.
A friend of mine came over and tried to help, but couldn't figure it out.  We
were able to pinpoint the problem to the dial program in /usr/lb/uucp.  My
modem is hooked up to the first serial port (/dev/tty1A if I remember).  Could
anyone help?

On this subject, can anyone recommend a good terminal program for Xenix?  I'm
used to using ProComm Plus.  What can I say!

Also, for the people who wanted compress/uncompress.  I have the source code
for a 16-bit version of compress.  Please mail requests.

Thank you and happy hunting!             Actually: Ethan M. Young
  ____ [> SB <]    "Travel IS life"      Internet: fargo@pawl.rpi.edu
 /__   -=>??<=-       - Irwin M. Fargo   Bitnet (??): usergac0@rpitsmts.bitnet
/   ARGO : 3000 years of regression from the year 4990

bruce@mdi386.UUCP (Bruce A. McIntyre) (05/11/89)

In article <3391@rpi.edu>, fargo@pawl.rpi.edu (Irwin M. Fargo) writes:
> I'm just setting up my system and am having trouble dialing out at 9600 bps.
> A friend of mine came over and tried to help, but couldn't figure it out.  We
> were able to pinpoint the problem to the dial program in /usr/lb/uucp.  My
> modem is hooked up to the first serial port (/dev/tty1A if I remember).
> On this subject, can anyone recommend a good terminal program for Xenix?  I'm
> used to using ProComm Plus.  What can I say!
> Thank you and happy hunting!             Actually: Ethan M. Young
>   ____ [> SB <]    "Travel IS life"      Internet: fargo@pawl.rpi.edu
>  /__   -=>??<=-       - Irwin M. Fargo   Bitnet (??): usergac0@rpitsmts.bitnet
> /   ARGO : 3000 years of regression from the year 4990
I have been using TERM from Century Software.  It is full featured, with
script language, etc.  But most important, it is transferable.  I use the
TERM software for PCDOS, XENIX, UNIX and CTOS.  They also support VMS and
a couple of others.  Full and complete VT100, etc. I even use it when PC's
tie into the XENIX system for use as terminals., then the user can use TERM
to call out to another system, etc.  Having one interface to learn is very
helpful.  I also had purchased ProComm Plus, and had no real gripes about it
except that their pre-emtion of PF1-PF4 made the use of Progress over a
PC terminal session very agravating.  With TERM I remapped the keyboard so
that these were free.
As far as your dial program.. Get an update to dial from SCO, or someone else
that has made the adjustments.  I am using a TBIT+ at 9600 and up with no
problems, after such a change.
bruce
---
	Bruce A. McIntyre, McIntyre Designs, Inc. VOICE(215)322-1895
	143 Bridgetown Pike, Langhorne, Pa. 19047 DATA (215)357-2915
	{wells|lgnp1|prapc2}!mdi386!bruce	bruce@wells tbit+

	Unix, Xenix, Netware and PC-DOS Applications development.
	Specializing in Database Applications since 1980.