[comp.unix.xenix] terminal connections to multiport boards at 19.2Kb

mhlevy@sbee.sunysb.edu (Mark Levy) (05/03/89)

   When I try to use terminals connected to a computone board at 19.2Kb,
they just won't work.  I use a correct entry in /etc/ttys and /etc/ttytypes.
I disable and then re-enable the port.  It doesn't want to work.  Could it
be my cable? My boss is a messy-dos salesman ( he refuses to believe that
some hardware refuses to work with XENIX.  He also thinks that VP/ix was
developed to be a multiuser dos system, but that's another story.) and insists
on the cheapest hardware.  The cable is only 3 conductor.  Could that be the
problem?  The board should be able to handle 19.2.

Thank you in advance,
Mark

--
~~~~~~~~~  Disclaimer???   We don't need no stinkin' disclaimer!!!  ~~~~~~
Mark Levy { mhlevy@sbccvm.BITNET   } 	% Debbie Gibson is pregnant,  with

pete@ittg.UUCP (2301) (05/12/89)

In article <1181@sbee.sunysb.edu> mhlevy@sbee.sunysb.edu (Mark Levy) writes:

>   When I try to use terminals connected to a computone board at 19.2Kb,
>they just won't work.  I use a correct entry in /etc/ttys and /etc/ttytypes.
>I disable and then re-enable the port.  It doesn't want to work.  Could it
>be my cable? My boss is a messy-dos salesman ( he refuses to believe that
>some hardware refuses to work with XENIX.  He also thinks that VP/ix was
>developed to be a multiuser dos system, but that's another story.) and insists
>on the cheapest hardware.  The cable is only 3 conductor.  Could that be the
>problem?  The board should be able to handle 19.2.
>
>Thank you in advance,
>Mark

This reply should really not be necessary and I hope you won't take it
wrong but, ...

Try to put yourself in our shoes.  We want to help but you've prevented us
due to the fact that we have to work to hard to figure out the solution
with you.  You have not given us the lines in your 'ttys' or 'ttytypes'
files.  (maybe there is something wrong there 8-)  Do you have any specs on
the cabling configuration?  What sort of entries have you configured on the
terminals?  What is your gettydefs file like?  etc.?  etc.??  etc.???
"Makes it tough for all o' us ignorant people out here ta help ya" ;-)

Do you get the drift?  By the time we bat the questions back and forth
three-to-ten times (read lots and lots of $$$$), you should have been able
to solve the problem.

Good luck,

Pete Sherwood pete@ittg ie. uunet!usm3b2!ittg!pete Voice 207-796-2301 8-4EDT
Passamaquoddy Indian Tribe, Princeton, Me   ** No disclaimers needed here **

bill@bilver.UUCP (Bill Vermillion) (05/14/89)

In article <1047@ittg.UUCP> pete@ittg.UUCP (System Administrator @ 207-796-2301) writes:
>In article <1181@sbee.sunysb.edu> mhlevy@sbee.sunysb.edu (Mark Levy) writes:
>>
>>   When I try to use terminals connected to a computone board at 19.2Kb,
>>they just won't work.  I use a correct entry in /etc/ttys and /etc/ttytypes.
>>I disable and then re-enable the port.  It doesn't want to work.  Could it
>>be my cable? My boss is a messy-dos salesman ( he refuses to believe that
>>some hardware refuses to work with XENIX.  He also thinks that VP/ix was
>>developed to be a multiuser dos system, but that's another story.) and insists
>>on the cheapest hardware.  The cable is only 3 conductor.  Could that be the
>>problem?  The board should be able to handle 19.2.

Check your directory under root called atx, and see what your attype settings
are.   If I remember correctly the /etc files handle cases that aren't set up
under atx.

Get some "real" signals going to the terminals.  I have never used only 3 in
Computone installations, and I suspect your system never knows a terminal is
on-line.  (It's Sunday and I don't have the Computone manuals at home -
otherwise I could help you.)

As to VPIX it can be good or bad depending on what you need to do.  It will
tend (:-)) to slow the system down.  You need 1 MEG of memory for each VPIX
user OVER AND ABOVE what you need for Xenix.   From what I have seen of VPIX,
you ought to start with at least 6 MEGS, unless it is only a 1 or 2 user
system.

I have been running 38k on the board.

bill

>"Makes it tough for all o' us ignorant people out here ta help ya" ;-)
>
>Do you get the drift?  By the time we bat the questions back and forth
>three-to-ten times (read lots and lots of $$$$), you should have been able
>to solve the problem.

Pete's right there.  And from your comments about your "boss" I don't know if
you will get the problem solved.  From experience - with people who insisited
on get the cheapest - it costs MORE in the long run.

I did some work for a local school system.  Low bid got the hardware.  Enough
problems with "flaky" hardware that it took two days to get the system up.
And over the course of a year had the h/d replaced, the m/b replace within the
first week, and a lot of gried occured along the way.  With lost time and my
time it cost them about $700-$1000 more by buying "low bid" instead of buying
the machine that cost $500 more.

Next machine was a known brand, no "clone" material in sight.  Had it up and
running under 8 users within 4 hours after opening the box.  Your boss won't
like that, I'd bet.

--
Bill Vermillion - bill@bilver.UUCP