[comp.unix.xenix] 'ls -n' opens password file for reading

ccea3@rivm.UUCP (Adri Verhoef) (05/05/89)

The command 'ls -n' fails with '/etc/passwd file cannot be
opened for reading' if the password file is missing, or it
fails with '/etc/group file cannot be opened for reading'
if the group file is missing.

-Flame on-
'ls -n' does not need to open any password or group file!
-Flame off-

--
19:89 - TIME TO WAKE UP!

jeff@softop.UUCP (Jeff) (05/12/89)

In article <1326@rivm05.UUCP>, ccea3@rivm.UUCP (Adri Verhoef) writes:
> The command 'ls -n' fails with '/etc/passwd file cannot be
> opened for reading' if the password file is missing, or it
> fails with '/etc/group file cannot be opened for reading'
> if the group file is missing.
>
> -Flame on-
> 'ls -n' does not need to open any password or group file!
> -Flame off-

I had never considered this before.  Inspection of inode.h (Xenix 2860
shows that the inode contains uid & gid, not username and groupname.
Surely then 'ls -n' is the only version that should work if the files
ARE missing?????

  | Jeff Tate              |     2425 Pandora Street, Vancouver, BC, Canada  |
  | van-bc!softop!jeff     |                                 (604) 254-4583  |

>I had never considered this before.  Inspection of inode.h (Xenix 2860
>shows that the inode contains uid & gid, not username and groupname.

Well, you should have looked at "stat.h", since "ls" looks at what it
gets back from "stat" - it doesn't look directly at the inode - but you
get the same answer, and will get it for any other version of UNIX as
well.

Yes, but so what?  He said, quite specifically:

	'ls -n' does not need to open any password or group file!

he didn't say anything about "ls" without the "-n" flag or with other
flags.  I presume he has a legitimate reason for wanting to do an "ls
-n" on a system with either "/etc/passwd" or "/etc/group" missing....