[comp.unix.xenix] PS/2 Multi-port board

bob@rel.eds.com (Bob Leffler) (05/13/89)

Is there a multi-port serial board  (at least 4 ports)  for a PS/2 Model
80 that works with SCO Xenix/386?

Also, does the version of SCO Xenix for the PS/2 Model 80 come with the
ESDI drivers?

--
Bob Leffler - Electronic Data Systems, Financial Information Services Division
3044 West Grand Blvd., Room 11-101, Detroit, MI 48202 (313) 556-4474

bill@bilver.UUCP (Bill Vermillion) (05/15/89)

In article <1192@rel.eds.com> bob@rel.eds.com (Bob Leffler) writes:
>Is there a multi-port serial board  (at least 4 ports)  for a PS/2 Model
>80 that works with SCO Xenix/386?

I have 3 different 80's with SCO 386.  All running Stallion's.  Two have a 12
port and one has an 8 port.  Runs fine and fast.

>Also, does the version of SCO Xenix for the PS/2 Model 80 come with the
>ESDI drivers?

Yes - that is one of the reasons for the special verison of SCO for the 80.

--
Bill Vermillion - bill@bilver.UUCP

bob@consult.UUCP (Bob Willey) (05/15/89)

In article <1192@rel.eds.com> bob@rel.eds.com (Bob Leffler) writes:
>Is there a multi-port serial board  (at least 4 ports)  for a PS/2 Model
>80 that works with SCO Xenix/386?
>
>Also, does the version of SCO Xenix for the PS/2 Model 80 come with the
>ESDI drivers?

Yes, several boards work well with the PS/2.  I have several StarGate
boards here that work just great, 8ports , retails for about $995,
will let them go for about $450.  Also the Computone boards work
just great Intelliport PS8 (retail $1195).
..
As far as the ESDI drivers, it is fine in the newer versions of SCO Xenix
(current being 2.2.3, as of a few days ago).  The PS/2 version of SCO Xenix
is always a little behind the AT version as it is done in England at
another SCO facility.
..
Hope this helps out a little.
Bob Willey - Computer Consulting Service   (301) 820-4670  Easton, MD
..
..
..
..   uunet!consult!bob                 ..
..
..
..

gs940971@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu (glen sunada f84) (05/16/89)

> Is there a multi-port serial board  (at least 4 ports)  for a PS/2 Model
> 80 that works with SCO Xenix/386?
>
> Also, does the version of SCO Xenix for the PS/2 Model 80 come with the
> ESDI drivers?

I'll answer the second question first.  Yes the version of SCO Xenix/386 for the PS/2 Model 80 comes with the ESDI drivers necessary to use the large hard disk options availiable form IBM for that machine.

Now for the first question.  The best multiport board for the PS/2 MCA machines I have herd of is the line of dumb and smart boards form DigiBoard Inc.  I'm sorry but I don't have their address or phone number handy but the do a fair ammount of advertising in PC WEEK, PC Magazine, and BYTE.  They also make a line of dumb and smart multiport boards for the standard PC bus so look for that line also.

		Glen U. Sunada
		The Squid
		gs940971@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu
		...ncar!boulder!ccncsu!longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu!gs940971

chip@vector.Dallas.TX.US (Chip Rosenthal) (05/16/89)

In article <1903@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> gs940971@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu (glen sunada f84) writes:
>> Is there a multi-port serial board  (at least 4 ports)  for a PS/2 Model
>> 80 that works with SCO Xenix/386?
>The best multiport board for the PS/2 MCA
>machines I have herd of is the line of dumb and smart boards form DigiBoard

For the moment, I would be careful with the Digiboard.  I have an older
COM8/I here, and there are some serious bugs in the driver.  I don't know
if these bugs carry forward to the newer boards.  The bugs I have found are:

1)  If you set "brkint -ignbrk", you don't get a SIGINT on a BREAK, but
    rather a NUL character ('\000') is returned.

2)  There are cases where the port hangs.  At this point all attempts to
    close() to port get stuck, and you can't send anything out the port.
    I have confirmed that it is hanging at a sleep() in their diclose().

I reported these to Digiboard pretty recently, and in fairness they haven't
had time to respond yet.  I sincerely hope Digiboard resolves these
problems expediently.  I never had problems until my recent upgrade to
2.3 XENIX and their latest drivers.  Their support folks have been helpful,
and I *really* appreciate their update policy.  It is basically free.
You call up a BBS, and once authorized, you can download the latest
drivers.  They also provide detailed technical information on their board
which is a very refreshing change.  They also appear to handle RTS/CTS
correctly, which seems to be the exception, unfortunately.  So, I hope
they get it right.  I'll be pretty pissed if they don't, because I'll
have to throw out the board.

Also, if there is anybody out using a COM8/i under XENIX 2.3, I would be
very interested in whether you can confirm either of these problems or
not.
--
Chip Rosenthal / chip@vector.Dallas.TX.US / Dallas Semiconductor / 214-450-5337