[comp.unix.xenix] Copying Xenix files to DOS ?

john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) (05/13/89)

   I'm not real familiar with Xenix. I've been using Microport Unix for
several years. Can anyone tell me if Xenix has DOS interface tools to
enable copying text/binary files from Xenix to a DOS-format diskette ?
I need to copy some shell scripts to a floppy and then view/edit the
files under DOS. Can anyone lend any pointers ?  Also, if I dumped
some files to a high density diskette with say, cpio... could I read that
diskette on my Microport system ?  I've never tried exchanging cpio
floppies between systems before.

					John

--
John Gayman, WA3WBU              |           UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!john
1869 Valley Rd.                  |           ARPA: john@wa3wbu.uu.net

ked@garnet.berkeley.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) (05/13/89)

In article <425@wa3wbu.UUCP> john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:

>   I'm not real familiar with Xenix. I've been using Microport Unix for
>several years. Can anyone tell me if Xenix has DOS interface tools to
>enable copying text/binary files from Xenix to a DOS-format diskette ?

I have SCO 286 Xenix.  It has a reasonably complete set of utilities for
bidirectional copying between Xenix and MSDOS, not only to floppies but
also to a MSDOS hard disk partition.

The only problems I've noted in heavy usage are: (a) the dosformat does
not support all common MSDOS formats (no 1.44 meg, for example) and (b)
copies from Xenix -> MSDOS on the same hard disk are ridiculously slow
(MSDOS -> Xenix is much faster); (c) on rare occasions the doscp command
insists on copying into bad tracks on the MSDOS partition.

The copy utilities have line conversion options.

>I need to copy some shell scripts to a floppy and then view/edit the
>files under DOS. Can anyone lend any pointers ?  Also, if I dumped
>some files to a high density diskette with say, cpio... could I read that
>diskette on my Microport system ?  I've never tried exchanging cpio
>floppies between systems before.

Not having a copy of Microport ~Chapter 11~ Unix, I cannot speak to the
last question.  In any event tar is usually a better choice than cpio.
I can provide a version of tar that runs under **IX and MSDOS.  I have
run SCO Xenix cpio disks to MSDOS using the cpio that comes with the MKS
Toolkit.  After producing a tar that runs under MSDOS, I stopped using cpio.

For more information:

Earl H. Kinmonth
History Department
University of California, Davis
Davis, California  95616
916-752-1636 (2300-0800 PDT for FAX)
916-752-0776 (secretary)
ucbvax!ucdavis!ucdked!cck (email)
cc-dnet.ucdavis.edu [128.120.2.251]
	(request ucdked, login as guest)

daveh@marob.MASA.COM (Dave Hammond) (05/16/89)

In article <425@wa3wbu.UUCP> john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:
>   I'm not real familiar with Xenix. I've been using Microport Unix for
>several years. Can anyone tell me if Xenix has DOS interface tools to
>enable copying text/binary files from Xenix to a DOS-format diskette ?
>I need to copy some shell scripts to a floppy and then view/edit the
>files under DOS. Can anyone lend any pointers ?

[ John will likely get billions of responses, however ... :-) ]

Xenix-to-DOS file mgmt tools:

doscp	Copy a file from DOS volume to Xenix, or vice-versa.  Does all
	text line-end conversions.  The "-r" flag bypasses conversion
	for binary files.

dosls	Does a "DIR" of the DOS volume.

dosrm	Removes a file from a DOS volume.

dosmkdir	Makes a subdirectory on a DOS volume.
dosrmdir	Removes ...

Now, althgether, let us say: "RTFM".

--
Dave Hammond