[comp.unix.xenix] memory fault

louis@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Louis Schmittroth) (05/18/89)

I am running FoxBase on Xenix 2.3.  Under some conditions I get the
message -sh: 10075 memory fault.  I cannot locate any list of
error messages in the manuals.  Is this reporting a real memory
chip failure, or is FoxBase trying to write where it shouldn't?
I have tried to RTFMs but come up enpty-handed.  Someone out there
must have seen this, eh?

Louis Schmittroth
Athabasca, Alberta

In article <590@aurora.AthabascaU.CA> louis@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Louis Schmittroth) writes:
>I am running FoxBase on Xenix 2.3.  Under some conditions I get the
>message -sh: 10075 memory fault.  I cannot locate any list of
>error messages in the manuals.  Is this reporting a real memory
>chip failure, or is FoxBase trying to write where it shouldn't?
>I have tried to RTFMs but come up enpty-handed.  Someone out there
>must have seen this, eh?

I've seen this, yes, on a very large application we have here.

The solution was to link config.375 to config.fx instead of the config.175
which is the default.

Specifically, check the parameters that control memory variable buffer
sizing.

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 312 566-8911], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]

daveh@marob.MASA.COM (Dave Hammond) (05/19/89)

In article <590@aurora.AthabascaU.CA> louis@cs.AthabascaU.CA writes:
>I am running FoxBase on Xenix 2.3.  Under some conditions I get the
>message -sh: 10075 memory fault.  I cannot locate any list of
>error messages in the manuals.  Is this reporting a real memory
>chip failure, or is FoxBase trying to write where it shouldn't?
>I have tried to RTFMs but come up enpty-handed.  Someone out there
>must have seen this, eh?

This message was printed by the shell, not FoxBase.  The instance
of FoxBase (I assume), running as process 10075, memory faulted
and died.  The shell caught the memory fault signal and reported
the error to you.

It would appear that FoxBase attempted to access a bad memory location,
or overran an array, or something along those lines.

--
Dave Hammond
daveh@marob.masa.com