[comp.unix.xenix] SCO

brianw@hpausla.HP.COM (Brian Wallis) (02/17/89)

Does anyone know of existing problems in SCO(386) 2.3.1's cron. The
problems a friend is having are to do with getting a news feed going
and this involves having cron start a dial program at about midnight.
If the cron entry is set up for 11:00 AM and watched then all is fine.
If it is set to midnight NOTHING happens! Nothing in cron's log, no
dial, no nothing.

He is using the `crontab -r' to delete the existing file and then
`crontab file' to install the new one. Any test which is watched seems
to work, it just all goes away in the wee hours.

Does this ring any bells for anyone out there, my friend is about to
get his sledge hammer and re-adjust his system slightly. It is
difficult for him to hang arround 'till midnight to watch it as the
building is locked up by someone else at 6:00. Anyhow, he is convinced
it would work if he stayed and watched (I am worried about his sanity).

richard@berner.UUCP (Richard Greenall) (02/18/89)

Welcome to the world of xenix crontabs.  I have been pounding my head
against the wall about this one for about a month now.  If you give
SCO a call, they will tell you that there is a fix disk available  (sorry
I can't tell you the number, as mine has yet to arrive).  A couple of
things which you might try in the meantime is to run the job a few minutes
after midnight (strange things happen at midnight (-:  ) and to run
/bin/true once every hour from the crontab (it seems that cron has this
thing about sleeping forever if left to its own accord for long lengths of
time)

Now on to bigger and better things (-:

During the last 2-3 weeks, with XENIX 2.3.1, We have had a few dozen things
go wrong at the worst moments, and it always seems that SCO knows about it,
and has a fix disk available.  In the last few weeks we have had sent to us

		ps seek error fix
		cron tab fix
		doscp fix
		parallel line printer fix
		and various uucp fixes.

My 2.3.1 operating system no longer resembles the original )-:  Has anyone
else been stung by other "features" in 2.3.1 for which a fix disk was
available?  If you have, let me know so that I can get put in a mass
order for these things before I get burned again.

			thanks

			richard Greenall
			uunet!dptcdc!berner!richard

P.S.  Is there a listing of all these bug fix disks available?

In article <675@berner.UUCP> richard@berner.UUCP (Richard Greenall) writes:

>During the last 2-3 weeks, with XENIX 2.3.1, We have had a few dozen things
>go wrong at the worst moments, and it always seems that SCO knows about it,
>and has a fix disk available.  In the last few weeks we have had sent to us
>
>		ps seek error fix

This one actually has two incantations; the older fix doesn't fix it all of
the time.  The new one appears to.

>		cron tab fix
>		doscp fix
>		parallel line printer fix
>		and various uucp fixes.

These we have not needed; we have 2.3.1 running now and haven't seen
problems with cron, doscp, the parallel printers, or uucp.  Only the first
and third would really apply to our particular installation though.

>P.S.  Is there a listing of all these bug fix disks available?

Sure -- contact your friendly SCO Dealer.  If you're an authorized reseller
you get the update list once a month or so; it's quite useful.

(Ps: Yes, we're an authorized SCO Reseller).

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, ddsw1!karl)
Data: [+1 312 566-8912], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]
Macro Computer Solutions, Inc.    	"Quality solutions at a fair price"

ecu@libcmp.UUCP (Edward C. Unrein) (05/20/89)

I am posting this as a  ** WARNING ** to all who were planning to update their
SCO Text Processing System 80386 version 2.2.

Santa Cruz Operations Update "T", which is being sold as a "Text Processing
System" update (Suggested Retail Price $ 75.00) is nothing more then an update
to the "On-Line Manual Pages"

HAY SCO, I wish you luck with this one. How are you explaining this to users
who purchased "Complete SCO XENIX System" packages last October, i.e. your
80386 2.3.1 OS release and were shipped 2.2 Text and Development Systems?

Gee, Now they can purchase updates, and actually get Manual Pages ONLY!!!

Ed Unrein		(peora!rtmvax!libcmp!ecu)
Liberty Computers, Inc.	(407) 293-6346 office voice number
UNIX guest account	(407) 299-6947 TELEBIT (8N1) login: guest
UUCP: libcmp Any (2400,PEP) 14072996947 ogin:-""-ogin:-""-ogin:nuucp