[comp.unix.xenix] swapper cpu time on 286 Xenix

daveh@marob.MASA.COM (Dave Hammond) (05/17/89)

We have a few 286 machines running SCO 2.2.1, all of which exhibit
amazingly high TIME values for 'swapper' on a ps table.  On average,
the time seems to increment by 5,000 minutes per day, or so (ie the
TIME value, for a machine running 1 week without reboot, is ~35000:00).
These machines have 4+ MB of RAM, run from 1 to 4 users, and run
average load programs (vi, cc, make, cu, compress ...).

Are these machines actually "swapping", or does the swapper just use
a hunk of cpu time?  If they are swapping, I can't believe its from
lack of core -- so what [if any] tuning can be done to improve performance?

--
Dave Hammond
daveh@marob.masa.com

timsb@adspp.UUCP (Tim S. Boshart) (05/18/89)

}
}Are these machines actually "swapping", or does the swapper just use
}a hunk of cpu time?  If they are swapping, I can't believe its from
}lack of core -- so what [if any] tuning can be done to improve performance?
}
}--
}Dave Hammond
}daveh@marob.masa.com

If I remember right, the swapper gets all of the idle time.  So whenever
nothing else is running, the swapper process gets the time added to it.
--
Tim S. Boshart      |uunet!adspp!timsb     |"When it is possible for
Abacus Data Systems |timsb@adspp.UUCP      | programmers to program in English,

trebor@biar.UUCP (Robert J Woodhead) (05/19/89)

In article <228@adspp.UUCP> timsb@adspp.UUCP (Tim S. Boshart) writes:
>In article <662@marob.MASA.COM> daveh@marob.masa.com (Dave Hammond) writes:
>}...  On average, the time seems to increment by 5,000 minutes per day...
>If I remember right, the swapper gets all of the idle time.  So whenever
>nothing else is running, the swapper process gets the time added to it.

Even so, you have to admit it's impressive, especially when there are only
24 * 60 or 1,440 minutes in a day!

I for one, when on deadline, would really appreciate one of these 5,000
minute days!  Where can I get one?

--
Robert J Woodhead, Biar Games, Inc.  !uunet!biar!trebor | trebor@biar.UUCP
"The lamb will lie down with the lion, but the lamb won't get much sleep."

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (05/20/89)

In article <662@marob.MASA.COM> daveh@marob.masa.com (Dave Hammond) writes:
>We have a few 286 machines running SCO 2.2.1, all of which exhibit
>amazingly high TIME values for 'swapper' on a ps table.  On average,
>the time seems to increment by 5,000 minutes per day, or so (ie the
	[ deleted ]

>Are these machines actually "swapping", or does the swapper just use
>a hunk of cpu time?  If they are swapping, I can't believe its from
>lack of core -- so what [if any] tuning can be done to improve performance?

As it was explained to me by a rep at SCO, the swapper will eat up any
excess time that is available.  I don't understand the 5000 minutes a
day, since there is only 1440 minutes in 24 hours.  Possibly there is
something wrong in the clock, but you don't have to worry about the time
for the swapper.

JB
--
Jonathan Bayer			      Beware: The light at the end of the
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.	      tunnel may be an oncoming dragon