[comp.unix.xenix] Adaptec and Xenix

wrp@biochsn.acc.Virginia.EDU (William R. Pearson) (05/12/89)

	I am planning the purchase of a large (150 - 300 Meg) ESDI
drive and controller for my Xenix system.  I have seen several
praises for the WD1007 ESDI controller, but a state purchase
contract makes it much easier for me to buy an Adaptec 2322B
controller/Maxtor XT4380E combination.  I would appreciate any
comments/warnings about this controller and drive, especially
compared with a WD1007/CDC alternative.

Bill Pearson

itkin@mrspoc.UUCP (Steven M. List) (05/15/89)

In article <1494@hudson.acc.virginia.edu> wrp@biochsn.acc.Virginia.EDU (William R. Pearson) writes:

> 	I am planning the purchase of a large (150 - 300 Meg) ESDI
> drive and controller for my Xenix system.  I have seen several
> praises for the WD1007 ESDI controller, but a state purchase
> contract makes it much easier for me to buy an Adaptec 2322B
> controller/Maxtor XT4380E combination.  I would appreciate any
> comments/warnings about this controller and drive, especially
> compared with a WD1007/CDC alternative.

I'm sorry that I can't compare.  I can only offer the results of my recent
experiences.  I was trying to decide similarly, and ended up purchasing
an Adaptec 2322A (hard and floppy controller) and a Micropolis 1558 382MB
ESDI disk.  I found the setup (once I found out what jumpers to set on
the disk) wonderfully easy and the controller's instructions complete.
The controller and disk have been performing flawlessly for several months
now, with never a twitch or squeak.  I've heard (purely hearsay, of course)
that the WD tends to be a bit slower than the Adaptec (and expect to start
religious wars by saying so), but haven't ever seen any real numbers.
--
:  Steven List @ Transact Software, Inc. :^>~
:  Chairman, Unify User Group of Northern California

fr@icdi10.UUCP (Fred Rump from home) (05/21/89)

In article <7602@mrspoc.UUCP> itkin@mrspoc (Steven List) writes:
>In article <1494@hudson.acc.virginia.edu> wrp@biochsn.acc.Virginia.EDU (William R. Pearson) writes:
--
-- 	I am planning the purchase of a large (150 - 300 Meg) ESDI
-- drive and controller for my Xenix system.  I have seen several
-- praises for the WD1007 ESDI controller, but a state purchase
-- contract makes it much easier for me to buy an Adaptec 2322B
-- controller/Maxtor XT4380E combination.
--
-I'm sorry that I can't compare.  I can only offer the results of my recent
-experiences.  I was trying to decide similarly, and ended up purchasing
-an Adaptec 2322A (hard and floppy controller) and a Micropolis 1558 382MB
-ESDI disk.

	While on the subject of Adaptec Controllers - can anyone explain the
difference between the 2322A and the 2322B-8 ???

	We've been trying to obtain the latter for quite some time now and it
seems like they're just not available anywhere. Anybody have a source?

	It seems that I remember some kind of a problem with the 22A and that
is the reason we need the 22B. 	Can anyone confirm the problem. The guy who
said so is no longer with the company and (well, you know how it goes..) we
wonder whether this was not quite the whole story.
Fred Rump

PS we need to run these controllers with large ESDI drives, a tape catridge
and the Corrollary multi-port board. At present in several similar situations
we get 'frame errors' and panic errors with SCO 386 2.3 Xenix. We have to get
two xenix operating systems out there and boot with one without the
corrollarry to get a backup.

	Any input would be appreciated.

--
{allegra killer gatech!uflorida decvax!ucf-cs}!ki4pv!cdis-1!cdin-1!icdi10!fr
26 Warren St.                ...{bellcore rutgers bpa uunet}!cdin-1!icdi10!fr