[comp.unix.xenix] 386 word processor performance

mackenzi@thor.acc.stolaf.edu (David MacKenzie) (05/19/89)

How are WordPerfect and Microsoft Word on resource use on 386's?
What's people's experience about the number of users that can comfortably
use them without bogging the Unix/Xenix system down (using, say, 4 meg of
RAM and a smart multiport serial card)?
--
David MacKenzie
mackenzi@thor.stolaf.edu or edf@rocky2.rockefeller.edu

bruce@mdi386.UUCP (Bruce A. McIntyre) (05/20/89)

In article <2161@thor.acc.stolaf.edu>, mackenzi@thor.acc.stolaf.edu (David MacKenzie) writes:
> How are WordPerfect and Microsoft Word on resource use on 386's?
> What's people's experience about the number of users that can comfortably
> use them without bogging the Unix/Xenix system down (using, say, 4 meg of
> RAM and a smart multiport serial card)?
> David MacKenzie
> mackenzi@thor.stolaf.edu or edf@rocky2.rockefeller.edu
We use Lyrix here, because when we set this system up, there was no WORD
or WORDPERFECT for this environment.  Our setup is similar, 16mhz 80386
with SCO386 Lyrix 5.0 and 4MB memory.  The terminals are all IBM3151's in
VT100 mode.  There are some performance problems, but ususally because
someone is running SCOPRO.  We are going to add a MACII for Publishing,
and would like to incorporate it into the system, and are looking into
using WORD, as PAGEMAKER knows about WORD files... Any comment, has anyone
done this?
bruce
	Bruce A. McIntyre, McIntyre Designs, Inc. VOICE(215)322-1895
	143 Bridgetown Pike, Langhorne, Pa. 19047 DATA (215)357-2915
	{wells|lgnp1}!mdi386!bruce	bruce@wells tbit+

	Unix, Xenix, Netware and PC-DOS Applications development.
	Specializing in Database Applications since 1980.

fr@icdi10.UUCP (Fred Rump from home) (05/21/89)

In article <66@mdi386.UUCP> bruce@mdi386.UUCP (Bruce A. McIntyre) writes:
->In article <2161@thor.acc.stolaf.edu->, mackenzi@thor.acc.stolaf.edu (David MacKenzie) writes:
->> How are WordPerfect and Microsoft Word on resource use on 386's?
->We use Lyrix here, because when we set this system up, there was no WORD
->or WORDPERFECT for this environment.  Our setup is similar, 16mhz 80386
->with SCO386 Lyrix 5.0 and 4MB memory.  The terminals are all IBM3151's in
->using WORD, as PAGEMAKER knows about WORD files... Any comment, has anyone
->done this?

	Bruce, 95% of our users use Lyrix. Some chose MS Word because of dos
familiarity. Same for WP. We always recommend Lyrix because of its file
maintenance menu and general fit into the SCO office portfolio environment.
	In a couple cases we went with the Sun River VP/ix and Ventura route.
It's quite a system drag and only good for the some time users for desktop.
A weekly ot monthly bulletin, that kind of stuff. Printing is sloooow. At the
office we use a separate dos 386 with lasermaster controllers etc to do lots
of desktop and for customer demos.
	In general, we push for 20 or 25MhZ machines if the user talks desktop
capability with a fast big ESDI drive and lots of memory.
Fred Rump
icdi10!fr@cdin-1.uu.net

--
{allegra killer gatech!uflorida decvax!ucf-cs}!ki4pv!cdis-1!cdin-1!icdi10!fr
26 Warren St.                ...{bellcore rutgers bpa uunet}!cdin-1!icdi10!fr