[comp.unix.xenix] Backups of Distibution Floppies

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) (05/19/89)

I have Microport V/386 and a friend has SCO Xenix/386, and we were both
wondering how to make backups of the distribution floppy disks?  Can you use
DISKCOPY or are they *NIX-formatted disks?  If the latter, are they mountable,
or are the files tar/cpio archives?  Or ???

Thanks 1e6,
Pete

--
Pete Holsberg, Mercer County Community College, Trenton, NJ 08690
{backbone}!rutgers!njin!princeton!njsmu!mccc!pjh

conan@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Robert B Carroll) (05/20/89)

In article <752@mccc.UUCP> pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>I have Microport V/386 and a friend has SCO Xenix/386, and we were both
>wondering how to make backups of the distribution floppy disks?  Can you use
>DISKCOPY or are they *NIX-formatted disks?  If the latter, are they mountable,
>or are the files tar/cpio archives?  Or ???
>
>Pete Holsberg, Mercer County Community College, Trenton, NJ 08690
>{backbone}!rutgers!njin!princeton!njsmu!mccc!pjh

On sco, i remember there being a utility on the system
admins menu. I remember backing them up via said menu.

--
conan@vax1.acs.udel.edu OR conan@192.5.57.1
CONAN THE BARBARIAN of Cimmeria

bruce@mdi386.UUCP (Bruce A. McIntyre) (05/20/89)

In article <752@mccc.UUCP>, pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:
> wondering how to make backups of the distribution floppy disks?  Can you use
> DISKCOPY or are they *NIX-formatted disks?  If the latter, are they mountable,
> or are the files tar/cpio archives?  Or ???
> Pete Holsberg, Mercer County Community College, Trenton, NJ 08690
> {backbone}!rutgers!njin!princeton!njsmu!mccc!pjh
The SCO version is built on disks that are similar in format to DOS disks.
The first 1 (or two, depending on which disk size) are filesystems, the rest
are tar archives.  If you read the manual, on of the first tasks it recommends
is to BACKUP UP the distribution disks.  Since SCO uses a Serialno protection
there is no other backup protection involved.
You CAN use diskcopy to copy ALL of the SCO distribution disks.
bruce
	Bruce A. McIntyre, McIntyre Designs, Inc. VOICE(215)322-1895
	143 Bridgetown Pike, Langhorne, Pa. 19047 DATA (215)357-2915
	{wells|lgnp1|prapc2}!mdi386!bruce	bruce@wells tbit+

	Unix, Xenix, Netware and PC-DOS Applications development.
	Specializing in Database Applications since 1980.

chip@vector.Dallas.TX.US (Chip Rosenthal) (05/21/89)

In article <752@mccc.UUCP> pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>I have Microport V/386 and a friend has SCO Xenix/386, and we were both
>wondering how to make backups of the distribution floppy disks?  Can you use
>DISKCOPY or are they *NIX-formatted disks?  If the latter, are they mountable,
>or are the files tar/cpio archives?

There is no such thing as a "unix-formatted" disk.

You have to realize that there are two levels of formatting for magnetic
media:  physical formatting and logical formatting.  Physical formatting
is where, in the case of disks, you lay down the sector/track info.  It
is mainly a function of hardware[1].  The logical formatting is a function
of what you are doing with the disk.  Cpio archive?  DOS filesystem?  etc.

When you do a "format", whether it be under DOS, XENIX, Microport or
whatever, you are putting down the physical format.  The DOS FORMAT command
then goes on to put other goo on the disk, like boot and fat blocks[2].
Under unix, this is broken out in a seperate step called "mkfs".

If you've got a utility which just copies the raw data on the disk, then
it matters not what the logical format is, just that the physical format
be understood.  Under DOS you've got DISKCOPY.  Under unix, there's dd.

In the case of XENIX 386 on 96tpi floppies, the N1 floppy is a mountable
filesystem.  The rest are tar archives.  But they are all boil down to
15 sector 79 track disks with goo on them.  (As do DOS format DSHD
floppies.)  DISKCOPY or dd will work just fine.

[1] Of course it is possible to do strange things, like throw on a track
    with am unusual number of sectors.  This is the basis of some DOS
    copy protection schemes.

[2] On hard disks, the DOS FORMAT command *only* puts down the goo.  The
    so called low-level format lays down the physical formatting.
--
Chip Rosenthal / chip@vector.Dallas.TX.US / Dallas Semiconductor / 214-450-5337

daveh@marob.MASA.COM (Dave Hammond) (05/21/89)

In article <752@mccc.UUCP> pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>I have Microport V/386 and a friend has SCO Xenix/386, and we were both
>wondering how to make backups of the distribution floppy disks?  Can you use
>DISKCOPY or are they *NIX-formatted disks?  If the latter, are they mountable,
>or are the files tar/cpio archives?  Or ???

The easiest thing to do is use dd:
Floppy 0 to floppy 1:

	dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/dev/fd1

Or, floppy 0 to HD to floppy 0:

	dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/tmp/disk_image
	dd if=/tmp/disk_image of=/dev/fd0

--
Dave Hammond
daveh@marob.masa.com

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) (05/21/89)

In article <3676@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> conan@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Robert B Carroll) writes:
=In article <752@mccc.UUCP> pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:
=>I have Microport V/386 and a friend has SCO Xenix/386, and we were both
=>wondering how to make backups of the distribution floppy disks?  Can you use
=>DISKCOPY or are they *NIX-formatted disks?  If the latter, are they mountable,
=>or are the files tar/cpio archives?  Or ???
=>
=
=On sco, i remember there being a utility on the system
=admins menu. I remember backing them up via said menu.

TFM says that "backup(C)" in "sysadmin(ADM)" backs up file systems.  I
want to copy the distribution diskettes.

--

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (05/22/89)

In article <752@mccc.UUCP> pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>I have Microport V/386 and a friend has SCO Xenix/386, and we were both
>wondering how to make backups of the distribution floppy disks?  Can you use
>DISKCOPY or are they *NIX-formatted disks?  If the latter, are they mountable,
>or are the files tar/cpio archives?  Or ???

I wouldn't know about microport, but on SCO Xenix there is the command:

	diskcp		for 360K diskettes, and
	diskcp -96	for 1.2 meg diskettes.

I don't have a 3 1/2 " disk drive so I can't help you for those.

JB

--
Jonathan Bayer			      Beware: The light at the end of the
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.	      tunnel may be an oncoming dragon

In article <752@mccc.UUCP> pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>I have Microport V/386 and a friend has SCO Xenix/386, and we were both
>wondering how to make backups of the distribution floppy disks?  Can you use
>DISKCOPY or are they *NIX-formatted disks?  If the latter, are they mountable,
>or are the files tar/cpio archives?  Or ???

This comes up often enough to warrant a post....

Format the destination diskette.

Assuming a 1.2MB floppy:
	dd if=/dev/rfd096ds15 of=/tmp/disk bs=15k  	(Xenix)
		or
	dd if=/dev/rdsk/fd096ds15 of=/tmp/disk bs=15k	(Microport)

This copies the disk to a temporary file.

Then, to make a dup, insert a blank formatted disk, and type:
	dd of=/dev/rfd096ds15 if=/tmp/disk bs=15k  	(Xenix)
		or
	dd of=/dev/rdsk/fd096ds15 if=/tmp/disk bs=15k	(Microport)

Don't forget to remove the 1.2MB file from /tmp when you're done!

This works for both bootable and non-bootable Unix diskettes.

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 312 566-8911], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]