[comp.unix.xenix] Xenix Restore Command

raulin@tdl.UUCP (Raulin Olivera) (05/17/89)

I just installed SCO Xenix 2.2.3 on a Compaq 286.  The previous
version was 2.2.1.  This was a "per gratis" upgrage from SCO.
While running under 2.2.1 we did our backups with a combination
of cpio and the backup command.  When I reinstalled 2.2.3 I
restored 2 file systems /root and /u from my cpio full system
backup.  At that point the installation looked fine.  I then
ran 2 restores from level backups that had been created prior
to the 2.2.3 install.  	!!!STEPPED ALL OVER MY /U FILESYSTEM!!!
It took me 2 days and 3 installs to figure out what was going on.
My final solution was to restore the system up to the point where
I did the cpio restore and forget the rest.  The system seems to
be doing fine now.  I will have to alert the users that they may
have lost some data.

I don't see in my documentation that the backup and restore commands
are not portable.  Unless I missed it.  But it makes sense that if
backup retains inode numbers and trys to use the same inode numbers
on a new filesystem that one might have problems.  Doesn't it?

Has anyone else gone through this type of grief or heard of any
similar stories?

		=Ralo->

gillisb@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Brian Gillis) (05/22/89)

What advantage does the dump and restore commands have over tar??
Even since I have been using Xenix (IE...Tany 16) the dump and restore
commands have never worked with a hoot.

Brian Gillis
gillisb@gsd.UUCP
hp-pcd!gsd!gillisb

john@jetson.UPMA.MD.US (John Owens) (05/24/89)

In article <131@tdl.UUCP>, raulin@tdl.UUCP (Raulin Olivera) writes:
> restored 2 file systems /root and /u from my cpio full system
> backup.  At that point the installation looked fine.  I then
> ran 2 restores from level backups that had been created prior
                           ^ level what?  level > 0?
> to the 2.2.3 install.  	!!!STEPPED ALL OVER MY /U FILESYSTEM!!!

You can only restore incremental backups (with restore r) on top of
restores of the previous full backups and all incrementals with lower
level numbers.  When you do a "restore r", it replaces all the files
into their original inode locations.  When you extract from cpio, the
files will end up with completely different inode numbers.

How did you manage to get an incremental backup from the date of a
cpio anyway?  backup to /dev/null after running cpio?

disaster recovery and any other full-filesystem restores.  Use cpio
for special-purpose backups that you're likely to want to restore all
or part of onto a good, existing filesystem.  And only use "restore r"
on a filesystem that's either completely empty (fresh from mkfs) or
has just had another "restore r" done on it from a lower-level backup.

Good luck!
--
John Owens		john@jetson.UPMA.MD.US		uunet!jetson!john
+1 301 249 6000		john%jetson.uucp@uunet.uu.net