[comp.unix.xenix] New Support services from SCO

rosso@sco.COM (Ross Oliver) (05/19/89)

SCO is now offering three new support services that I thought
would interest comp.unix.xenix readers.

First is our SCO Online Support (SOS) Basic Service.  SOS is our
technical support BBS, which up until now, you had to have at least a
SoftCare II support contract to gain access.  SOS Basic Service
gives you read-only acess to all the technical information on the system,
including a database of over 800 problems and solutions for the majority
of our product line.  Also available are technical articles and tutorials
from our DiSCOver newsletter, product announcements, the SCO training
schedule, and product question and answer documents.  SOS Basic Service
is $95 per year.  Contact our Customer Service department at 1-800-626-4381,
or mail to uunet!sco!support for more information.

The second new service is our Developers Program, which includes special
technical support services, discounts on products and training,
listings of your products in our SCO XENIX System V Directory,
and other goodies.  Contact our Developer Relations department
at (408) 425-7222, or mail uunet!sco!devrel for more information.

The third new service is annonymous UUCP downloads of selected Support
Level Supplements.  We have two modems available: a 2400 baud modem
at (408) 425-3502, and a Telebit Trailblazer modem at (408) 429-1786.
On either line, use the login "uusls" (forth character is the letter
"l"), no password, and the machine name is "sosco".  All files are in
the directory /usr/spool/uucppublic/SLS.  Get the file
/usr/spool/uucppublic/SLS/info for a list of available files, and
instructions on how to install the supplements after downloading.
Since this is the first public announcment of this service, there will
no doubt be a flood of calls to these two modems.  For the first couple
of weeks, please try to keep your connect time to a minimum, and if
you need more than one or two files, please take them in several
sessions.  Mail me (uunet!sco!rosso) for any questions or problems.

Ross Oliver
Technical Support
The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.

dfm@sagepub.UUCP (David F. McCune) (05/20/89)

In article <3188@viscous.sco.COM> uunet!sco!rosso (Ross Oliver) writes:

>All files are in
>the directory /usr/spool/uucppublic/SLS.  Get the file
>/usr/spool/uucppublic/SLS/info for a list of available files, and
>instructions on how to install the supplements after downloading.

Could some nice soul who manages to get into the sco machine please
post the info file?  (Ross, are you listening? -- :-) )

Thanks!

-David

--
                 David McCune, Sage Publications, Inc.
           2111 West Hillcrest Drive, Newbury Park, CA 91320

ked@garnet.berkeley.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) (05/21/89)

In article <1323@sagepub.UUCP> dfm@sagepub.UUCP (David F. McCune) writes:
>In article <3188@viscous.sco.COM> uunet!sco!rosso (Ross Oliver) writes:
>>
>Could some nice soul who manages to get into the sco machine please
>post the info file?  (Ross, are you listening? -- :-) )

Considering the recent infusion of megabucks into SCO by MicroShaft and
the fact that decent 2400 baud modems can be had for a C-note or less,
perhaps they could put in another line or two without breaking the corporate
piggy-bank.  By using office lines in off hours, it could be done without
further charges to PacBell.

Better yet, perhaps they could scam one of their developers for an ftp
connection.  Let them advertise in the /etc/motd if they need some quo
for their quid.

noel@ubbs-nh.MV.COM (Noel B. Del More Nashua) (05/21/89)

In article <3188@viscous.sco.COM> uunet!sco!rosso (Ross Oliver) writes:
>SCO is now offering three new support services that I thought
>would interest comp.unix.xenix readers.
>
>First is our SCO Online Support (SOS) Basic Service.  SOS is our
>technical support BBS, which up until now, you had to have at least a
>SoftCare II support contract to gain access.  SOS Basic Service
>gives you read-only acess to all the technical information on the system,
>including a database of over 800 problems and solutions for the majority
>of our product line.  Also available are technical articles and tutorials
>from our DiSCOver newsletter, product announcements, the SCO training
>schedule, and product question and answer documents.  SOS Basic Service
>is $95 per year.  Contact our Customer Service department at 1-800-626-4381,
>or mail to uunet!sco!support for more information.

$95.00 per year to read about what's what with SCO!  Come on  Ross,  now
if  you  had  made it $95.00 year for SOFTCARE I and SOS then I might be
interested.

Most companies would (and do) provide this type  of  support  for  their
customers for free, especially when you consider what it costs to employ
a "live" technician to handle technical support via telephone.

SCO's problem continues to be that it fails to see that  with  the  ever
increasing  popularity  of Xenix, that more and more neophytes are going
to be using the product for the first time.  Additionally, many of these
"new"  customers  are  NOT  going  to be businesses, rather they will be
individuals with families to feed and mortgages to make,  ie.   no  deep
pockets, as well as the small businessman emigrating from DOS to a Xenix
environment.

SCO needs to address the needs of these users with a low cost, efficient
and  comprehensive  support  plan,  which SOFTCARE I and SOS could be if
they were combined.

It is really ludicrous to consider  paying  $95.00  a  year  to  call  a
machine and search for information concerning (often times)(at least for
me) a problem with SCO's product, on your own time and have to  pay  the
telephone charges as well.

One thing you fail to mention is that you can get a 15% discount on  all
support  contracts  within 30 days of registering a product.  And fellow
netlanders, are all your packages registered?  I  sent  in  my  cards  8
months  ago  for  the  current system that I have, as late as March they
still had not registered  all  of  the  packages.   Consider  your  Text
Processing,  Man  pages,  CGI etc.  if they do't have it registered then
you may be able to obtain the discount.

Additionally, what with SCO's currently overloaded support system  you'd
think that  SCO  would  be trying to do anything to ease that burden.  A
free SOS system would obtain that result.  Machines ARE  less  expensive
than people!

SCO might also consider sending DISCOVER free  to  registered  customers
and  using it as a marketing tool.  Or you might even consider expanding
the publication and selling subscriptions to it, even I would buy one!

>The second new service is our Developers Program, which includes special
>technical support services, discounts on products and training,
>listings of your products in our SCO XENIX System V Directory,
>and other goodies.  Contact our Developer Relations department
>at (408) 425-7222, or mail uunet!sco!devrel for more information.

Did I mention that this is, and the  previous  paragraph  where  perfect
examples  of  commercial  use  of  the  net.   I mean you are "peddling"
products here.  (No flame ...  just mentioning it).

>The third new service is annonymous UUCP downloads of selected Support
>Level Supplements.   <stuff deleted>

Now no fees are mentioned in this paragraph so I assume that this  is  a
free service.  CONGRATULATIONS SCO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This IS a wonderful example of how to promote  your  business,  generate
good  will,  and provide a valuable and timely service to your customers
while at the same time reducing costs for manpower and materials.

Now carry  it  a  step  further,  require  that  the  calling  party  be
registered  for the product and provide all of the free updates that one
would normally have to obtain through your media department.

Add  SOS  and  DISCOVER,  either  free  or  an  expanded,   subscription
supported, publication and you now have all of the above advantages, ie.
reduced costs and manpower, plus you have  a  marketing  advantage  over
your competition!

Yep, I can see it now...

<scene 1> VAR (Consultant) attempting to convince a local businessperson
to buy his SCO Xenix based product.

	Businessperson:  But I understand Xenix is so difficult to
		master, setup and use!  Were will I get help if I need
		it?

	VAR:	Well, your first step would be to contact me for any
		assistance you might require..

	Businessperson:  Yeah, but what if your not around, and I need
		help.  And, I'm really not going to want to pay you your
		megabuck fees for every simple question.

	VAR:	Yes, I can see your point.  Well, not only can I train
		to use the system and software, but SCO provides training
		on a wide variety of subjects at a reasonable fee.
		Additionally they provide free with their OS unlimited
		access to a database of questions and answers about the
		OS which is available by calling their system in Ca.
		Additionally, you download current updates and "patches"
		for the OS from the same system via uucp.  And finally,
		they provide you with a subscription to DISCOVER, a
		publication which will inform you about new products and
		services, Software Supplements, and articles about how
		other businesses are using SCO Xenix to solve their
		computing needs.

	Businessperson:	Thats wonderful but what if I need to actually
		talk with someone?

	VAR:	Well then their are various level of Support Contracts
		available.  The cost based upon your needs.

	Businessperson:	Great!  I'm sold, between SCO's support and yours
		I think we can make this project work!

<scene 2>  VAR (Consultant) leaving the client's place of business.  In a
low half-mutter, half exclamiation he says...

	VAR:  Yooo SCO, way to go!

Gads... its enough to bring tears to your eyes and a positive balance in
the ole check book isn't it?

BTW Ross, does SCO need a slightly radical marketing executive?

Noel
--
Noel B. Del More             |                             decvax!ubbs-nh!noel
17 Meredith Drive            |                             noel@ubbs-nh.mv.com

bob@consult.UUCP (Bob Willey) (05/23/89)

In article <1323@sagepub.UUCP> dfm@sagepub.UUCP (David F. McCune) writes:
>In article <3188@viscous.sco.COM> uunet!sco!rosso (Ross Oliver) writes:
>>
>>All files are in
>>the directory /usr/spool/uucppublic/SLS.  Get the file
>>/usr/spool/uucppublic/SLS/info for a list of available files, and
>>instructions on how to install the supplements after downloading.
>
>Could some nice soul who manages to get into the sco machine please
>post the info file?  (Ross, are you listening? -- :-) )
>
>Thanks!
>
>-David
>

>--
>                 David McCune, Sage Publications, Inc.
>           2111 West Hillcrest Drive, Newbury Park, CA 91320
>         dfm%sagepub@quad.com     uucp: ...srhqla!sagepub!dfm
>             voice: (805) 499-0721    fax: (805) 499-0871

List of SLS files available for transfer using UUCP
Last updated: 5/12/89

Machine name: sosco

Phone numbers: (408) 425-3502 (300-2400 baud)
	       (408) 429-1786 (9600 baud Telebit)

Login name: uusls   (forth character is the letter "l" rather than numeral "1")
No password

Below is a list of the Support Level Supplements available for UUCP
request in the directory /usr/spool/uucppublic/SLS.  The files ending
in .z have been reduced in size using the SCO XENIX pack(C) utility.
These files must first be unpacked using unpack(C).  Files ending
in .ltr are the cover letters and installation instructions for
the corresponding Supplements.  The cover letters assume you have
received the Supplements on diskette.  To install a Supplement, you
must first transfer it to a diskette using this procecure:

    1. Request UUCP to transfer to your system the SLS file
       and cover letter file for the desired supplement.

    2. Expand one or both of the files as necessary using unpack(C).

    3. Format a diskette that is large enough to contain the
       supplement file.

    4. Use the dd(C) command to transfer the supplement file to the
       diskette.  For example, if the supplement file is "xnx102" and
       is in the /usr/spool/uucppublic directory on your system, and
       the diskette is a 5.25-inch, 360K, the command would be:

           dd if=/usr/spool/uucppublic/xnx102 of=/dev/rfd048ds9

        Substitute the appropriate device name for "/dev/rfd048ds9" if
	transferring to a diskette of another capacity.  However, always
	used the character device.  The diskette must be formatted using
	the format(C) command before the data can be transferred.

     5. Follow the installation instructions given in the cover letter file.

Support Level Supplements available by UUCP request

File name    Size(bytes)	Description

xnx087.z	  7500		386 Shadow Sperry 4 Port
xnx087.ltr	   774

xnx089.z	129423		SunRiver Driver for 2.2.2 and 2.2.3
xnx089.ltr.z	 11017

xnx096.z	173028		286 Shadow Sperry 4 Port
xnx096.ltr	   782

xnx098.z	 11441		Irwin 20-megabyte format(C)
xnx098.ltr	   620

xnx102.z	 44994		Multiple Mountain Tape Drives
xnx102.ltr	  9592

xnx104.z	420319		Excelan TCP/IP Supplement for XENIX 2.3
xnx104.ltr	  1246

xnx105.z	 43077		RTS/CTS Handshaking Supplement for 2.3
xnx105.ltr	   872

xnx107.z	  2490		/etc/rc for 286 2.2.3
xnx107.ltr	   619

xnx108.z	123531		SunRiver Driver for SCO XENIX 2.3.1 386
xnx108.ltr.z	 18637

xnx114.z        138839          DiSCOver technical articles
xnx114.ltr         763

xnx115.z          5845          Fixes Slow parallel printing problems for
xnx115.ltr        1064              SCO XENIX 386 2.3.0 and 2.3.1

xnx116.z         14435          Allows SCO XENIX 2.3 to read mapkey files
xnx116.ltr        1033              from SCO XENIX 2.2

xnx118.z         60749          QIC-40 tap driver for SCO XENIX 386
xnx118.ltr        4688              releases 2.2.3 and 2.3.1.

xnx120.z         36527          Corrects "ps seek error" for SCO XENIX
xnx120.ltr        1164              386 release 2.3.0 and 2.3.1

xnx122.z         52511          Driver for Archive VP409 Microchannel
xnx122.ltr        6065              tape drive controller

xnx124.z         32708          Corrects fsck abort problems for SCO XENIX
xnx124.ltr        1422              386 releases 2.3.0 through 2.3.3

xnx126.z         22648          Allows kernels larger than 640K to boot
xnx126.ltr        1191              For SCO XENIX 386 2.3.1.

xnx128.z        262004          Corrects "garbage or loose cable" error using
xnx128.ltr        1812              certain internal modems.

xnx130.z         84017          Driver for SCO XENIX 386 2.3.1 and 2.3.2 that
xnx130.ltr        3151              supports all of the following drive models:
				    125, 145, 185, 225, 245, 285, 2020, 2040,
				    and 2080.

xnx133.z         59248          Corrects problems with using the WD1007A
xnx133.ltr        1927              disk controller.  For SCO XENIX 286,
				    release 2.2.3, and all 2.3 releases.

tbetz@dasys1.UUCP (TOM BETZ) (05/24/89)

Quoth noel@ubbs-nh.MV.COM (Noel B. Del More  Nashua) in <350@ubbs-nh.MV.COM>:
|In article <3188@viscous.sco.COM> uunet!sco!rosso (Ross Oliver) writes:
|>SCO is now offering three new support services that I thought
|>would interest comp.unix.xenix readers.
|>
|>First is our SCO Online Support (SOS) Basic Service.  SOS is our
|>technical support BBS, which up until now, you had to have at least a
|>SoftCare II support contract to gain access.  SOS Basic Service
|>gives you read-only acess to all the technical information on the system,
|>including a database of over 800 problems and solutions for the majority
|>of our product line.  Also available are technical articles and tutorials
|>from our DiSCOver newsletter, product announcements, the SCO training
|>schedule, and product question and answer documents.  SOS Basic Service
|>is $95 per year.  Contact our Customer Service department at 1-800-626-4381,
|>or mail to uunet!sco!support for more information.
|
|$95.00 per year to read about what's what with SCO!  Come on  Ross,  now
|if  you  had  made it $95.00 year for SOFTCARE I and SOS then I might be
|interested.

Also, the BBS is written using LYRIX scripts, which means a) it's
slow b) it's clumsy c) it doesn't support file transfers, even
ASCII transfers... you can't even turn off the bloody More?
paging and capture long documents without sitting there and
pressing the spacebar every screenful.  PITA... and a waste of
time.  I called it a coupla times, and have since given up.
Advice to SCO - get some >real< BBS software.  If you want to
demonstrate LYRIX on-line, set up another number for that.
Better yet... get a copy of Magpie software (available from
MAGPIE HQ - 212-420-0527) which will let you maintain your Q&A
database, provide fulltext search on multiple keywords, and from
which you can shell out to run your on-line demos... and which
will even permit you to offer fixes on-line for Softcare II
patrons, like me.  Drop the Not Invented Here syndrome if you
expect a useful support BBS.

|Most companies would (and do) provide this type  of  support  for  their
|customers for free, especially when you consider what it costs to employ
|a "live" technician to handle technical support via telephone.

Damn straight.  There are DOS shareware products out there that
provide better free support than SCO does.

[I further endorse the rest of the posting, deleted for brevity
here ]

|>The second new service is our Developers Program, which includes special
|>technical support services, discounts on products and training,
|>listings of your products in our SCO XENIX System V Directory,
|>and other goodies.  Contact our Developer Relations department
|>at (408) 425-7222, or mail uunet!sco!devrel for more information.
|
|>The third new service is annonymous UUCP downloads of selected Support
|>Level Supplements.   <stuff deleted>
|
|Now no fees are mentioned in this paragraph so I assume that this  is  a
|free service.  CONGRATULATIONS SCO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I for won would like to see some clarification on this from SCO.
It was not mentioned in DiSCOver, to my recollection...

Disclaimer: I haven't been on SOS in more than a month, as my
first two experiences there were so frustrating.  I hope things
have changed, I really do.

--
"Tell me, is this Heaven?"                          |  Tom Betz, 114 Woodworth
                                   "No, it's Iowa." |  Yonkers, NY 10701-2509
                                                    |      (914) 375-1510
"Iowa... I could have >sworn< it was Heaven."       |    cmcl2!dasys1!tbetz