[comp.unix.xenix] Copying Xenix files in DOS

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) (05/23/89)

A friend of mine hates to do installations from distribution diskettes,
preferring to copy the diskettes and install from the copies.  Is it possible
to do this with SCO Xenix and, say, DISKCOPY?  Thanks.

--
Pete Holsberg, Mercer County Community College, Trenton, NJ 08690
{backbone}!rutgers!njin!princeton!njsmu!mccc!pjh

edhew@egvideo.UUCP (Ed Hew) (05/28/89)

In article <760@mccc.UUCP> pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:

>A friend of mine hates to do installations from distribution diskettes,
>preferring to copy the diskettes and install from the copies.  Is it possible
>to do this with SCO Xenix and, say, DISKCOPY?  Thanks.

Look up diskcp(C) in the SCO User's Reference (that's the one with the
'(C)(M)(F)' on the spine).  Since it says "diskcp is used to make an image
(exact copy) of a source floppy ....", that would imply to me that it's
making a 'bit for bit' copy, which would also take care of higher level
dependancies, like the N1 mountable floppy filesystem.

I've never actually tried this, but it should work.

>--
>Pete Holsberg, Mercer County Community College, Trenton, NJ 08690
>{backbone}!rutgers!njin!princeton!njsmu!mccc!pjh

  Ed. A. Hew       Authorized Technical Trainer        Xeni/Con Corporation
  work:  edhew@xenicon.uucp	 -or-	 ..!{uunet!}utai!lsuc!xenicon!edhew
  home:	 edhew@egvideo.uucp	 -or-	   ..!{uunet!}watmath!egvideo!edhew
  # I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on floppy around here somewhere!