[comp.unix.xenix] Anvil Stallion Intelligent serial IO card. HELP

paterra@cs.odu.edu (Frank C. Paterra) (05/25/89)

I need some help with the installation of a 16 port Anvil Stallion
Intelligent serial I/O card on an IBM PS/2 Model 80.  The card is
installed and I can enable ports tty000 - tty003, but when I enable
port tty004 and above I get errno 6 from getty.  I followed the
instructions that came with the card, but they are really written for
an IBM AT so none of the hardware matches  The software does not
complain during installation, but the diagnostic software that comes
with the card only tests ports 0-3.  All diagnostics pass with no problems.

Has anyone out there used this board, and can you offer and help?  The
dealer is not very responsive and the system has been stuck now for 3 days.

Thanks for your help!

Frank Paterra
paterra@cs.odu.edu

bill@bilver.UUCP (Bill Vermillion) (05/26/89)

In article <8967@xanth.cs.odu.edu> paterra@cs.odu.edu (Frank C. Paterra) writes:
>I need some help with the installation of a 16 port Anvil Stallion
>Intelligent serial I/O card on an IBM PS/2 Model 80.  The card is
>installed and I can enable ports tty000 - tty003, but when I enable
>port tty004 and above I get errno 6 from getty.  I followed the
>instructions that came with the card, but they are really written for
>an IBM AT so none of the hardware matches

Well I have four 80's up and running with Stallion's at various places and
have had no problems there.   However, and this is from memory, I seem to
recall that error number 6 also says after it "getty keeps dying".

Check your cabling.  Check your devices.o

As to the manual being written for the AT complain to your dealer and get the
docs you deserve.  All the PS/2 versions come with addendums specific to the
PS/2 line.

>  The software does not
>complain during installation, but the diagnostic software that comes
>with the card only tests ports 0-3.  All diagnostics pass with no problems.

Diagnostics test ALL ports on the systems I have used.  I suspect you may have
an older board and an early verion of the drivers.  Current level is 2.4.1 for
SCO's Xenix.  Don't know rev numbers on other drivers.

A note to ALL trying to install on a Model 80 with SCO's develpment system
installed.  The install may be patched by now, but if not you have a nasty
surprise when the install aborts during the linking procedure.

Real easy work around.  The install disks test for the existance of the
development system by testing for cc.  If you are going to install on a machne
with the development system installed, temporarily rename cc to something
else.  Install as normal, then move cc back.  It bit me, that's how I found
out about it.

--
Bill Vermillion - UUCP: {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd}!peora!rtmvax!bilver!bill
                      : bill@bilver.UUCP

jlg@odicon.UUCP (John L. Grzesiak) (05/28/89)

In article <211@bilver.UUCP>, bill@bilver.UUCP (Bill Vermillion) writes:
> In article <8967@xanth.cs.odu.edu> paterra@cs.odu.edu (Frank C. Paterra) writes:
> an older board and an early verion of the drivers.  Current level is 2.4.1 for
> SCO's Xenix.  Don't know rev numbers on other drivers.

	Current versions is 2.4.2. for XENIX 2.3.2. on the AT bus machines.
    For PS/2 I have no idea.

				-- John Grzesiak --