[comp.unix.xenix] Re-booting to do tape backups

pete@ittg.UUCP (2301) (05/30/89)

In article <153@icdi10> fr@icdi10.UUCP (Fred Rump from home) writes:
>In article <7602@mrspoc> itkin@mrspoc (Steven List) writes:
>>In article <1494@hudson> wrp@biochsn (William R. Pearson) writes:
>--[Deleted, not appropriate to changed Subject:]
>-[Deleted, not appropriate to changed Subject:]
>[Deleted, not appropriate to changed Subject:]
>
>PS we need to run these controllers with large ESDI drives, a tape catridge
>and the Corrollary multi-port board. At present in several similar situations
>we get 'frame errors' and panic errors with SCO 386 2.3 Xenix. We have to get
>two xenix operating systems out there and boot with one without the
>corrollarry to get a backup.
>
>	Any input would be appreciated.

I have a similar problem of "panic errors" when attempting to do tape
backups.  Here's my set-up:

Dell Corp.'s System 300, 4 Meg Memory, ESDI Hard Disk with dual controller,
1.2 Meg Floppy with an Irwin internal 40 Meg mini cartridge on the second
floppy cable, uname -a of:
	release=2.2.3	[only relevant lines]
	version=SysV
	machine=i80386

When I received this system, I installed a Consensys Corporation, 8 port
smart card and the device drivers.  Attempted to do a tape backup (ie.
dump, backup, tar, (no cpio yet but...I don't think it will work) backups)
but got "panic errors" with a crash every time.  I still can't do them in
multi-user mode.  "What to do?":
   At the end of each day I make sure everyone is logged off, and do a
   "shutdown 0".  Then go into "maintenance mode" and the tape backup
   works fine.  What I have surmised is:
      The device driver gets loaded but not 100% activated until the
      following line in the '/etc/rc' file gets activated.
         /etc/powercheck -f 30 /dev/ttyh1 >/dev/console 2>/dev/console &
      The powercheck program runs every 30 seconds.  So, in multi-user
      mode, I can get up to 30 seconds into my backup before getting the
      "panic error".  It got frustrating until I figured that one out.  So,
      what do I do?  I was told by Consensys that it was SCO's problem
      since Consensys used non standard interupts, etc.  and SCO said that
      it must be a problem with the Consensys drivers since...... :-{ :-{
      You, know, the usual.

I have it working well enough to do satisfactory tape backups so I'm not
really complaining.  It would be nice to get backups working in multi-user
mode just to save the time it takes to go back and forth between
multi/single-user modes.  As stated above:

>	Any input would be appreciated.

That was my 1/10 cents worth ;-)

Pete Sherwood               pete@ittg.UUCP        uunet!usm3b2!ittg!pete
Passamaquoddy Indian Tribe, Princeton, Maine      Voice 207-796-2301 8-4 EDT