[comp.unix.xenix] large disk, 3270 board for Xenix 386

carrato@mhinfo.UUCP ( tony carrato) (05/28/89)

We've got a client that wants to configure an ALR 386 system with SCO UNIX V
with a CDC Wren V drive with and ESDI interface.  He also wants to use a
Cleo PCX 3270 board to do 3270 BSC communications to an IBM system.  Does
anyone have any experience with doing either of these things, good or bad?

Tony Carrato

steveb@aostul.UUCP (Steve Bogner) (05/31/89)

In article <6@mhinfo.UUCP> carrato@mhinfo.UUCP ( tony carrato) writes:
>We've got a client that wants to configure an ALR 386 system with SCO UNIX V
>with a CDC Wren V drive with and ESDI interface.  He also wants to use a
>Cleo PCX 3270 board to do 3270 BSC communications to an IBM system.  Does
>anyone have any experience with doing either of these things, good or bad?
>
>Tony Carrato

We are an ALR dealer and have configured many of their machines for
SCO Xenix.  In fact, you can order their machines with Xenix and
"Manager" (an OA desktop tool) installed and burned in for 24 hours.
They are currently using the Maxtor 4380E and 4170E disks with an
optional companion cabinet that connects via SCSI which can contain up
to four more disks.

I very strongly advise you to get the ALR machine configured for Xenix
from the factory.  They call them the "X" series (25386X, 20386X,
etc).  ALR puts in an Adaptec ESDI controller (rather than a slow
WD1007),  preps the disk, installs Xenix, and burns it in with SCO's
own QA tests.

I have not used the Cleo board, but do have extensive experience with
a company called Winterhalter.  They make an excellent SNA board and
if memory serves me correct they also have a BSC product. Give Kim
Rotobeck a call at 313-662-2002.

Steve Bogner

!uunet!romed!aostul!steveb