From: root@consult.UUCP (Super user)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.xenix
Subject: Re: Disk Gobble-d-gook
Date: 17 May 89 13:00:10 GMT

... [stuff deleted]

Here is one idea.  There was a problem with Release 2.2.2 and back
regarding the dskinit program when the system was installed.  Caused
a nasty little problem, formatted the driving using 112 cylinder
instead of 110!!  This caused the swap file (end of drive) to be
partially located over the non-existent space.
This could cause some rather weird problems and various panic conditions.
It is fixed in 2.2.3 (xnx116 or xnx117).

Sure enough, we looked and it was configured for 112 cylinders.  That
particular system has been having problems since we installed it (for
at least 6 months), with core dumps, random panic stops, etc.
primarily under heavy load.  We had not been able to track it down and
had talked to SCO repeatedly without any solutions.  We called SCO and
they confirmed that this was indeed a problem and could cause all of
the symptoms that we were seeing.

So, obviously, we didn't ask the right questions (or SCO didn't) and
the problem just lingered on.

It seems that the solution to this is to have a list of the known
problems, symptoms, and their solutions available to all of us
developers.  It seems that as a part of paying our annual fees, we
should get this information.  Discover is a nice mag, but it is too
glossy.  A monthly, or quarterly listing of these bugs and patches
sure would help.  We used to deal with minicomputer manufacturers, and
they provided this kind of information on a regular basis.  Maybe this
new BBS service is just what we need.  We will have to try it out and
see.

B.

bob@consult.UUCP (Bob Willey) (05/24/89)

In article <1889@wasatch.utah.edu> kessler%cons.utah.edu@wasatch.utah.edu (Robert R. Kessler) writes:

>We have been using SCO for almost two years and basically think that
>they are providing a good service.  Most of the times, there is
>someone knowledgeable on the other end, who can help us get our
>
>However, it seems that the real problem is that SCO doesn't let us, as
>developers, know of all of the problems and patches that are currently

1. SCO does publish a listing of current xnx patches for all thos
people on SoftCare Support.  We get one every month without fail.
2. They do provide an SOS Bulletin Board for just this purpose
for Level 2&3 Resellers and people on high level support.
3. As a developer you need to acquire (if you haven't already), the
Softcare or higher support from SCO to get the level of response
that you are looking for.
..
With these tools in hand, you can do some of your own troubleshooting
and finding of most common problems.  you can even order patches
online.!!!
SCO may seem frustrating to deal with, but keep in mind that SCO
XENIX has exploded recently (last year or so), and the number of
customers is expanding greatly.  That creates a support nightmare,
many of the calls being end-users (lack of reseller support, etc.)
who are calling in with problems that are trivial (but important).
All these things take time away from us people with the major problems.
We have picked up quite a few customers who had orignally purchased
SCO Xenix from a "dealer" and then could not get support.  There are
a bunch of people "dealers" out there that just do not or will not
take the time to train their personnel and be able to support the
products they sell.  Thus part of the problems you are experiencing.
I know that Ross Oliver watches these conferences (SCO Tech Support),
so I am sure he will shed additional light on the subject.
   < Bob Willey >   Computer Consulting Service (301) 820-4670
                    Easton, MD   uunet!consult!bob

tbetz@dasys1.UUCP (TOM BETZ) (06/01/89)

Quoth bob@consult.UUCP (Bob Willey) in <21@consult.UUCP>:
|1. SCO does publish a listing of current xnx patches for all thos
|people on SoftCare Support.  We get one every month without fail.

I've been a Level II subscriber for almost a year and have yet to
receive one of these.  I have found out about patches on this
conference, and have missed some it turns out I need.
However...

|2. They do provide an SOS Bulletin Board for just this purpose
|for Level 2&3 Resellers and people on high level support.

And since Ross made the --More-- prompt optional last Friday
(thanks, Ross!) I was able to find the list of patches there
without being massively frustrated, and mail off a request to
support@sco.com for those I need.  I just wish they would find it
in their hearts to make the SOS number an 800 line, like the
voice support line...

|SCO may seem frustrating to deal with, but keep in mind that SCO
|XENIX has exploded recently (last year or so), and the number of
|customers is expanding greatly.  That creates a support nightmare,
|many of the calls being end-users (lack of reseller support, etc.)
|who are calling in with problems that are trivial (but important).
|All these things take time away from us people with the major problems.

As one of those end-users you describe, I have much appreciated
this support service.  SCO Xenix is a pretty damned good
UNIX implementation for the naiive-but-bright end-user, and the
fact that I have a reliable system running here without the
training course I wish now I had taken (and may yet) speaks well
of the thought SCO has put into the product and its support.

Any problem that interferes with the operation of a system is a
major problem to the person who has it.

--
"There are no magicians. There are no hidden     |  rutgers!lilink!upaya!tbetz
 people or gurus somewhere in secret. You have   | Tom Betz, Greyston Foundation