[comp.unix.xenix] Menu builder programs under SCO Xenix

fnf@estinc.UUCP (Fred Fish) (05/24/89)

Can anyone recommend any menu builder type programs for use under
SCO Xenix.  The basic idea is to build a menu system with a minimum
of hassle.  Some of the desired features, not necessarily in the order
of importance, are:

(1)	Ease of use for the developer.  Most menu systems I have seen
	use some sort of "menu language" in which you describe the
	menus and the actions to be taken in a custom language.  This
	language should be reasonably powerful and well documented.

(2)	Presentation quality.  In other words, does it use some of the
	fancier graphics capabilities to draw boxes, scroll bars, etc.
	Drawing boxes with the '|', '+', and '-' characters is only
	marginally acceptable.  Something along the lines of SCO's
	sysadmsh program is more reasonable.  (speaking of which, does
	SCO provide any sort of development package that would allow
	one to build the equivalent of sysadmsh?)

(3)	Reasonable runtime licensing.  If you wish to distribute binary
	copies of your system, and such distribution requires the inclusion
	of some sort of licensed runtime code provided by the vendor, the
	licensing should be "reasonable".  I.E., $100 per binary copy is
	not "reasonable".

(4)	Context sensitive help and selection.  If a particular field in
	the menu system or one of its "forms" requires user input, the
	user should be able to request help describing the required input,
	and if possible, a list of items to select from.  I.E., if a file
	name is required a pop up window with a list of file names to select
	from would be nice.

There are probably other factors that I haven't thought of that would
be important.  Having never built such a system before, I probably would
not discover them until I was about half way through the implementation.
Feel free to point them out if you have experience in building menu systems
for use by relatively inexperienced users.

-Fred
--
# Fred Fish, 1835 E. Belmont Drive, Tempe, AZ 85284,  USA
# 1-602-491-0048           asuvax!{nud,mcdphx}!estinc!fnf

louis@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Louis Schmittroth) (05/28/89)

In article <89@estinc.UUCP>, fnf@estinc.UUCP (Fred Fish) writes:
> Can anyone recommend any menu builder type programs for use under
> SCO Xenix.

Please summarize your replies for this group.  I must not be the
only other person looking for a nenu building system.  I do it
now with a shell script, but that's primitive.  Thanks

bob@consult.UUCP (Bob Willey) (05/30/89)

In article <601@aurora.AthabascaU.CA> louis@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Louis Schmittroth) writes:
>In article <89@estinc.UUCP>, fnf@estinc.UUCP (Fred Fish) writes:
>> Can anyone recommend any menu builder type programs for use under
>> SCO Xenix.
>Please summarize your replies for this group.  I must not be the
>only other person looking for a nenu building system.  I do it
>now with a shell script, but that's primitive.  Thanks

Here is one input.  It is a product developed by Terry Keene
at TRG in Atlanta GA.   1 (800) 248-8649   or is 800 not available
1 (404) 664-9000 and ask for Chris O'Neal.
They have a product called ATvanced Office System, which is GREAT,
and they are about to release a NEW product called Menu Maker which
will be even hotter.

--
.. Computer Consulting Service     ..      Bob Willey        ..
.. P.O. Drawer 1690                ..    uunet!consult!bob   ..

shevett@labii.UUCP (Dave Shevett) (05/30/89)

In article <601@aurora.AthabascaU.CA> louis@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Louis Schmittroth) writes:
>In article <89@estinc.UUCP>, fnf@estinc.UUCP (Fred Fish) writes:
>> Can anyone recommend any menu builder type programs for use under
>> SCO Xenix.

Wang provides an interesting 'shell' called 'wsh' with their distribution
of Xenix.  I believe it's probably available seperately.  It consists of
the wsh executable, and a wsh.dat, which is the customizable menu file.
Each user may have his/her own copy of wsh.dat, and alter it as they like
it.  If wsh is run and $HOME/wsh.dat doesn't exist, it reads it from
/usr/bin.

It allows space-bar selection of up to 12 items per screen, with each
selection having the capability of bringing up another menu or executing a
command.  It also allows for prompt for parameters to commands  (Ala a menu
pick may be 'list the files in a directory', and the menu system can prompt
the user with something like Enter the directory to list: )

Wang is headquartered in Lowell, Massechusetts.  I believe any of the Xenix
product managers up there can help (the name Rod Rogers comes to mind).

/----------------+ "The shortest distance  +----------------------\
| Dave Shevett   |  between two puns is a  |  Labyrinth II BBS    |
| W. Trenton, NJ |    straight line..."    | shevett@labii.UUCP   |
\----------------+     - Doc Webster       +----------------------/

fnf@estinc.UUCP (Fred Fish) (06/07/89)

In article <601@aurora.AthabascaU.CA> louis@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Louis Schmittroth) writes:
>In article <89@estinc.UUCP>, fnf@estinc.UUCP (Fred Fish) writes:
>> Can anyone recommend any menu builder type programs for use under
>> SCO Xenix.
>
>Please summarize your replies for this group.  I must not be the
>only other person looking for a nenu building system.

I received several good leads (thanks everyone!).  Of them, the one that
seemed the most interesting is called "MenuAgent", from DSI.  After
playing with it for several days, it looks like it will fit our needs
quite well.  DSI can be reached at:

	DSI Communications, Inc.
	333 West Merrick Road
	Valley Stream, NY  11580