[comp.unix.xenix] SCO X-Sight under Xenix 2.3.1 ?

edhew@egvideo.UUCP (Ed Hew) (06/02/89)

In article <1185@sbee.sunysb.edu> mhlevy@sbee.sunysb.edu (Mark Levy) writes:

>I've heard conflicting reports regarding the soon to be released ;-) X
>package from SCO, X_SIGHT.  Does anybody know _FOR_SURE_ if it will run
>on SCO XENIX?  I've heard 2 different stories from SCO sales.

Oooo Boy!  Ok, going right out on a limb without checking any of my notes
at work.....

I would hazard a guess that SCO X-Sight (hello, rosso, you'd know this),
is based on X-11.  SCO's Open Desktop graphics windowing is also based
on X-11 (at least it seems to be; SCO correct me if this is untrue).

We had SCO ODT up and running under SCO Xenix386 2.3.1 at the UNIX'89
show in Toronto a couple of weeks ago.  If the above assumptions are
correct, then there might be an implication that X-Sight will run under
Xenix 2.3.1 as well.

I should know better than to post without *facts* at hand.

I can comment that the SCO reseller price list has entries for X-Sight
for both generic 386 and microchannel _Xenix_ , only "it's not shipping
yet"  :-)

>Mark Levy { mhlevy@sbccvm.BITNET   }

		--ed		{edhew@egvideo.uucp}

  Ed. A. Hew     Authorized SCO Technical Trainer      Xeni/Con Corporation
  work:  edhew@xenicon.uucp	 -or-	 ..!{uunet!}utai!lsuc!xenicon!edhew
  home:	 edhew@egvideo.uucp	 -or-	   ..!{uunet!}watmath!egvideo!edhew
  # I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on floppy around here somewhere!

stacy@mcl.UUCP (Stacy L. Millions) (06/08/89)

In article <2030@egvideo.UUCP>, edhew@egvideo.UUCP (Ed Hew) writes:
> In article <1185@sbee.sunysb.edu> mhlevy@sbee.sunysb.edu (Mark Levy) writes:
> >
> >I've heard conflicting reports regarding the soon to be released ;-) X
> >package from SCO, X_SIGHT.  Does anybody know _FOR_SURE_ if it will run
> >on SCO XENIX?  I've heard 2 different stories from SCO sales.
>
> Oooo Boy!  Ok, going right out on a limb without checking any of my notes
> at work.....
>
> I would hazard a guess that SCO X-Sight (hello, rosso, you'd know this),
> is based on X-11.  SCO's Open Desktop graphics windowing is also based
> on X-11 (at least it seems to be; SCO correct me if this is untrue).
>
> We had SCO ODT up and running under SCO Xenix386 2.3.1 at the UNIX'89
> show in Toronto a couple of weeks ago.  If the above assumptions are
> correct, then there might be an implication that X-Sight will run under
> Xenix 2.3.1 as well.

Open Desktop is based on X11, but it is supposed to be SCO UNIX System V/386
not SCO XENIX 386.

> I should know better than to post without *facts* at hand.

I have a nice shinny advertising glossy for SCO XSIGHT sitting right here,
and it says:

SCO Xsight System Requirements
Operating System: SCO XENIX 386 Release 2.3.1 (or later)

On the other hand, the same glossy also says:

The Santa Cruz Operations, Inc. reserves teh right to change or modify any
of the product or service specifications or features described herein
without notice.

Aren't you glad I cleared that up :-).

-stacy

--
"Fuzzy Wuzzy was a women?" - Gene Wilder _See No Evil Hear No Evil_

S. L. Millions            Millions Computing Ltd.            tmsoft!mcl!stacy