[comp.unix.xenix] SCO Xenix - does it support VGA?

steve%revolver@gatech.edu (Steve Fischer) (06/07/89)

I have SCO Xenix, release 2.2 with the computer graphics interface release 1.0
on my 386-based machine.  It does not, apparently support a VGA board.
Has SCO updated their software to support VGA?

kory@avatar.UUCP (Kory Hamzeh) (06/09/89)

In article <766@hydra.gatech.EDU>, steve%revolver@gatech.edu (Steve Fischer) writes:
> I have SCO Xenix, release 2.2 with the computer graphics interface release 1.0
> on my 386-based machine.  It does not, apparently support a VGA board.
> Has SCO updated their software to support VGA?

Xenix/386 2.3.1 and above does have support for VGA Systems. Although, I have
seen it screw up the display on some of the SuperVGA (800x600) Cards. Also,
it will only support the standard IBM VGA modes, not the higher res modes
such a (800x600).

CGI version 1.0 does not have VGA support. You can use it in EGA mode
by executing the following commands after you install your new Xenix
system for the first time:

	Log in as "root".
	mv /dev/ega /dev/ega.old
	ln /dev/vga /dev/ega

This, effectivly, tells CGI that you have a EGA card in your system (Otherwise,
opening /dev/ega would fail). CGI version 1.1 should have VGA support, but
I'm not sure if its shipping yet.

By the way, I have a Orchid ProDesigner VGA+ card. Has anyone written a
Xenix/386 driver for it which can exploit the 800x600x256 mode? If so,
can you send me a copy?

Thanks,
--kory

Kory Hamzeh			    UUCP:     ..!uunet!psivax!quad1!avatar!kory
				    INTERNET: avatar!kory@quad.com