[comp.unix.xenix] Duplicating XENIX distribution disks

curci@stat.cc.fsu.edu (Ray Curci ) (06/08/89)

After all the recent talk about how to duplicate XENIX distribution disks with
DISPCOPY and dd, I attempted to dupe my 2.3.2 Xenix disks and install using the
copies without success.  MS-DOS v3.3 DISKCOPY command gives several
"bad track on side 1" warning messages and says "the disk may be unusable".
Sure enough, it is unusable (N1 copy goes crazy and others give TAR checksum
errors.  I then installed a minimal runtime system using the originals and
proceeded to do the following:
								dd if=/dev/rfd096ds15 of=/tmp/xxx bs=15k
	format -f /dev/rfd096ds15 ; dd if=/tmp/xxx of=/dev/rfd096ds15 bs=15k

No error messages while making the copies (80 records copied message only),
but N1 copies would not boot, and others gave tar checksum errors.
Any ideas on what is happening here?  Maybe I should just order a COPY II PC
DELUXE diskcopy board from Central Point.  I am very leary about not having
a backup copy of these disks especially when the Xenix complete s/w is so $$$.

ray@stat.fsu.edu
ray

timsb@adspp.UUCP (Tim S. Boshart) (06/09/89)

In article <745@stat.cc.fsu.edu> curci@stat.fsu.edu (Ray Curci (scri)) writes:
}
[...]

Your best bet for copying Xenix diskettes is with the Xenix utility
"diskcp".  The DOS "DISKCOPY" command really only works with DOS
diskettes.  To use "diskcp", insert the diskette you want to copy into
your floppy disk drive and enter the following command:

           diskcp -f -s -96

This will copy a 1.2 MB diskette and format the new diskette before
coping the new files to it.  For other disk sizes, enter the command
"diskcp -u" which will give you all the options for diskcp.
--
Tim S. Boshart      |uunet!adspp!timsb     |"When it is possible for
Abacus Data Systems |timsb@adspp.UUCP      | programmers to program in English,

jim@tiamat.fsc.com (Jim O'Connor) (06/09/89)

Tim Boshart writes:

> Your best bet for copying Xenix diskettes is with the Xenix utility
> "diskcp".  The DOS "DISKCOPY" command really only works with DOS
> diskettes.

I have used the DOS diskcopy program to copy Xenix disks on several occasions.
It works just fine.  The target floppy must be formatted first, though. I
have run into problems when using the "format while copying" option.

--jim
-------------
James B. O'Connor			jim@tiamat.fsc.com
Filtration Sciences Corporation		615/821-4022 x. 651

*** Altos users unite! mail to "info-altos-request@tiamat.fsc.com" ***

barton@holston.UUCP (barton) (06/17/89)

In article <592@tiamat.fsc.com>, jim@tiamat.fsc.com (Jim O'Connor) writes:
> Tim Boshart writes:
> >
> > Your best bet for copying Xenix diskettes is with the Xenix utility
> > "diskcp".  The DOS "DISKCOPY" command really only works with DOS
> > diskettes.
>
> I have used the DOS diskcopy program to copy Xenix disks on several occasions.
> It works just fine.  The target floppy must be formatted first, though.

I too have used DOS DISKCOPY with no problem....looks like your outnumbered.
--
Barton A. Fisk          | UUCP: {texbell,uunet}!warble!holston!barton
PO Box 1781             | DOMAIN: barton@holston