[comp.unix.xenix] Wanted: C++ on Xenix

jay@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Jay Phillips) (06/15/89)

Does anyone have any knowledge of availability of C++ for Xenix?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jay Phillips

jay@hp-pcd

lcc@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (73701000) (06/17/89)

There is GNU g++ from the GNU foundation. It is public domain and you can
get it from prep.ai.mit.edu over the internent. You probably won't get it
to work unless you have a 387 installed because of the lack of robust
floating point emulation in XENIX.

Ken Chapin

terry@eecea.eece.ksu.edu (Terry Hull) (06/18/89)

In article <7999@saturn.ucsc.edu> lcc@ucscb.UCSC.EDU Ken Chapin writes:
>There is GNU g++ from the GNU foundation. It is public domain and you can
>get it from prep.ai.mit.edu over the internent. You probably won't get it
>to work unless you have a 387 installed because of the lack of robust
>floating point emulation in XENIX.
>
>Ken Chapin

This will be LOTS of work since GCC does not support MASM and XENIX
does not come with any COFF libraries except the shared libraries
which makes it difficult to use GAS.  Once you have SCO UNIX 3.2 you
will be able to use GCC and therefore g++.

--
Terry Hull
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Kansas State University

adnan@sgtech.UUCP (Adnan Yaqub) (06/20/89)

In article <7999@saturn.ucsc.edu> lcc@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (73701000) writes:

   There is GNU g++ from the GNU foundation. It is public domain and you can
   get it from prep.ai.mit.edu over the internent. You probably won't get it
   to work unless you have a 387 installed because of the lack of robust
   floating point emulation in XENIX.

GNU C++ is not in the public domain.  The software is copyrighted by
the Free Software Foundation.  The license is, however, free,
providing you abide by the terms.  As for porting it to Xenix, I have
my doubts.  C++ is based on the GNU C compiler, which, as far as I
know, has never been ported to Xenix.  (Actually, I think someone did
port it to Xenix, but the resulting compiler produced SYSV binaries,
not Xenix ones.)  What we have decided to do, and which may be the
best idea, is to wait for Unix 3.2 from SCO and then run GNU C and
C++.

--
Adnan Yaqub
Star Gate Technologies, 29300 Aurora Rd., Solon, OH, USA, +1 216 349 1860