[comp.unix.xenix] RFH: 386 Xenix 2.3.1 VGA...

tony@oha.UUCP (Tony Olekshy) (06/20/89)

We have a 25Mhz AMI 386 with ATI VGA Wonder (16 bit) and NEC Multisync 2A.
It appears to work well under DOS/Windows/Adobe Illustrator and SCO CGI
(drawing Mandelbrot sets).

However, in normal SCO ASCII mode, every time the screen color is changed
(with ^[[2;i;jm) or a cursor motion escape is sent, a small glitch appears for
approx 1.5 inches of a single scan line: no output to the screen resulting
in a black line against whatever the current background color is!  I can cat
/etc/termcap to the screen with no glitches, but if I run it through sed to
change the color of the first character of each line, the glitch appears for
each line, slowly moves up the screen as the lines are output, and then starts
from the bottom again.

This seems to me to indicate that the tty driver is getting confused while
interpreting the escape sequence, and loosing sync with the board.  It kind'a
detracts from my beautiful color screens.

Any suggestions?  2.3.2 ;-?

--
Yours, etc., Tony Olekshy (...!alberta!oha!tony or tony@oha.UUCP).

jim@applix.UUCP (Jim Morton) (06/23/89)

In article <316@oha.UUCP>, tony@oha.UUCP (Tony Olekshy) writes:
> However, in normal SCO ASCII mode, every time the screen color is changed
> (with ^[[2;i;jm) or a cursor motion escape is sent, a small glitch appears for
> approx 1.5 inches of a single scan line: no output to the screen resulting
> in a black line against whatever the current background color is!  I can cat

The release notes for 2.3.2 state:
	 'The "black snow" on EGA's and VGA's ... has been melted"'
--
Jim Morton, APPLiX Inc., Westboro, MA
...uunet!applix!jim    jim@applix.com