[comp.unix.xenix] Xenix 2.3 and MS-DOS 3.3 - together?

chip@ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) (06/29/89)

Recently we've been trying to put SCO Xenix 2.3 and MS-DOS 3.3 on the
same disk.  Specifically, we've got a 32M DOS partition, followed by a
96M secondary DOS partition with three logical drives, followed by a Xenix
partition for the rest of the disk.  It all works.

Sorta.

If the Xenix partition is active and the Boot prompt appears, typing "dos"
doesn't get to DOS.  And when we use Xenix "fdisk" to make the DOS partition
active, >nothing< gets booted.  A clue is that the DOS partition shows up
as partition #4, even though it was created first; but we don't know why.

Has anyone gotten MS-DOS 3.3 to be the default boot on a shared Xenix/DOS
disk?  I'd really like to know.

E-Mail, if you like; I'll summarize.
--
You may redistribute this article only to those who may freely do likewise.
Chip Salzenberg         |       <chip@ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>

bill@bilver.UUCP (Bill Vermillion) (07/01/89)

In article <24AA27B0.512@ateng.com> chip@ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
(dos boot problems deleted - wjv)

>If the Xenix partition is active and the Boot prompt appears, typing "dos"
>doesn't get to DOS.  And when we use Xenix "fdisk" to make the DOS partition
>active, >nothing< gets booted.  A clue is that the DOS partition shows up
>as partition #4, even though it was created first; but we don't know why.

Don't have 3.2 yet, but a comment on the above.  Have you tried booting under
DOS (from floppy) and looking at the partition with fdisk.

I have also noted that if under DOS the DOS partition is always 1, but under
Xenix it is always 4.

To verify I just booted the '386 next to this terminal.  Under DOS's fdisk DOS
is partition 1 and Xenix is partition 2.  Reboot under Xenix and Xenix is
partion 1 and DOS is 4.  This is normal.  Maybe the file  dos   under /
is broken.  You might try copying that from your earlier verison.  Of course
doing all this be sure you have backups, right :-).

bill
--
Bill Vermillion - UUCP: {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd}!peora!rtmvax!bilver!bill
                      : bill@bilver.UUCP