[comp.unix.xenix] SCO 2.3.2, 386GT, UNIX ?

nawien@ghp.UUCP (Nawien Sharma) (06/27/89)

We are currently running SCO XENIX 2.2.3 on an NEC 386.
We would like to upgrade our software to the latest version
supported by SCO.
An SCO Media representative told me that 386GT is treated as a
separate product ( at $700 US) using a separate operating
system and is not considered as a part of the 2.x.x series
of XENIX software.
Therefore, I see no need going to XENIX 2.3.2 for $195 U.S. when
one cannot pay an upgrade cost to go to 386GT from XENIX 2.3.2.

Although SCO will support XENIX 2.3.2 and 386GT, I would be
concerned that after having bought 386GT when SCO UNIX is
introduced that no upgrade path is available from 386GT
and I would be forced to pay say another $700 to get SCO UNIX.
My only beef here is that SCO should offer upgrade paths.

If indeed SCO intends to pursue UNIX and feels it is
the way to go for the future then I am better off waiting
until the first version of SCO UNIX and upgrading from there.

It would be nice to get some clarification on SCO's direction.

I welcome any comments.
--
Nawien Sharma,
UUCP:  nawien%ghp@mnetor.uucp

edhew@egvideo.UUCP (Ed Hew) (06/28/89)

My comments are *not* to be in any way construed as official SCO policy,
they're simply based on what I currently understand of SCO's offerings.
[I don't work there.]

In article <321@ghp.UUCP> nawien@ghp.UUCP (Nawien Sharma) writes:

>We are currently running SCO XENIX 2.2.3 on an NEC 386.
>We would like to upgrade our software to the latest version
>supported by SCO.

I know someone who did that with an "upgrade R-GT".

>An SCO Media representative told me that 386GT is treated as a
>separate product ( at $700 US) using a separate operating
>system and is not considered as a part of the 2.x.x series
>of XENIX software.

It is, if you want to buy a whole new runtime o/s.
Ask about the "upgrade R-GT" above.  It should take you from 2.2.3 to
		 ^^^^^
2.3.2GT.  This is different from "update R-GT".   I found out about
this through a support call.	    ^^^^

>Therefore, I see no need going to XENIX 2.3.2 for $195 U.S. when
>one cannot pay an upgrade cost to go to 386GT from XENIX 2.3.2.

The one you want is a bit more, not much.  I'm not sure about U.S.
prices.  It goes out at $369.CDN.  Supported clients sometimes
get a discount, depending on the reseller.

>Although SCO will support XENIX 2.3.2 and 386GT, I would be
>concerned that after having bought 386GT when SCO UNIX is
>introduced that no upgrade path is available from 386GT
>and I would be forced to pay say another $700 to get SCO UNIX.

I just read a new product announcement today stating that while
there was no easy update path, they were working on an upgrade
path of some sort, more info to be announced when it happens.

>My only beef here is that SCO should offer upgrade paths.

They do.

>If indeed SCO intends to pursue UNIX and feels it is
>the way to go for the future then I am better off waiting
>until the first version of SCO UNIX and upgrading from there.

That's supposed to be a matter of days now.  It's an additional
product to the SCO line, not a replacement for SCO Xenix.

>It would be nice to get some clarification on SCO's direction.

Try either sales@sco.com or info@sco.com
One of those should work.

>I welcome any comments.
>--
>Nawien Sharma,
>UUCP:  nawien%ghp@mnetor.uucp
>BELL:  (416)862-0430

		--ed		{edhew@egvideo.uucp}

  Ed. A. Hew     Authorized SCO Technical Trainer      Xeni/Con Corporation
  work:  edhew@xenicon.uucp	 -or-	 ..!{uunet!}utai!lsuc!xenicon!edhew
  home:	 edhew@egvideo.uucp	 -or-	   ..!{uunet!}watmath!egvideo!edhew
  # I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on floppy around here somewhere!

rosso@sco.COM (Ross Oliver) (07/01/89)

In article <321@ghp.UUCP> nawien@ghp.UUCP (Nawien Sharma) writes:

  We are currently running SCO XENIX 2.2.3 on an NEC 386.
  We would like to upgrade our software to the latest version
  supported by SCO.
  An SCO Media representative told me that 386GT is treated as a
  separate product ( at $700 US) using a separate operating
  system and is not considered as a part of the 2.x.x series
  of XENIX software.
  Therefore, I see no need going to XENIX 2.3.2 for $195 U.S. when
  one cannot pay an upgrade cost to go to 386GT from XENIX 2.3.2.

An upgrade from SCO XENIX 2.2 386 to 2.3.2 GT is now available for
$295.  If you have encountered problems with getting this upgrade,
please contact your SCO sales rep again, as the policy on this
upgrade has been recently clarified.

  >Although SCO will support XENIX 2.3.2 and 386GT, I would be
  >concerned that after having bought 386GT when SCO UNIX is
  >introduced that no upgrade path is available from 386GT
  >and I would be forced to pay say another $700 to get SCO UNIX.
  >My only beef here is that SCO should offer upgrade paths.

SCO will be offering an upgrade later this summer for moving
from SCO XENIX to SCO UNIX System V/386.  Although a price for
this upgrade has not been set, I would expect it to be much
less than purchasing a new SCO UNIX package.

Ross Oliver
Techical Support
The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.

davidsen@crdgw1.crd.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (07/04/89)

In article <4032@viscous.sco.COM> uunet!sco!rosso (Ross Oliver) writes:

| SCO will be offering an upgrade later this summer for moving
| from SCO XENIX to SCO UNIX System V/386.  Although a price for
| this upgrade has not been set, I would expect it to be much
| less than purchasing a new SCO UNIX package.

  Based on past history and the <$1k price of Open Desktop, I would be
surprized if that were the case. Cheaper than buying SCO 3.2 I'm sure.
--
	- bill davidsen (davidsen@crdgw1.uucp)
	GE Corp. R&D Center; Box 8, KW-C206; Schenectady NY 12345