[comp.unix.xenix] port shutdown

root@ozdaltx.UUCP (root) (06/16/89)

I'm running into a strange problem since I've started using
a new modem.  The message,

"garbage or loose cable on serial dev 8, port shut down"

Will appear on my screen, I think after the line has been
called... It never does it when I'm sitting here.
Someimtes, I will also see a "panic trap" message and the
system will go West and has to be reset.

I'm running SCO XENIX V2.1.1  on an AT 286.  The modem is an
EVEREX 2400E.  I have an ANCHOR 2400E on the other port and
it hasn't given me any trouble. (knock on wood).

I'm wondering if certain parameters in the modem need to be
changed.  I have &C1 and &D0 set, with S0=2.

My gettydefs table look like this;

1 # B1200 SANE HUPCL ECHOE ISTRIP CS8 CR1 NL1 -CLOCAL #
    B1200 SANE HUPCL CS8 ECHOE IXANY -CLOCAL #
\r\fMembership: use "guest"\n\rAIDS info: use "aids"\n\rLogin: # 2

2 # B300 SANE HUPCL ECHOE ISTRIP CS8 CR1 NL1 -CLOCAL #
    B300 SANE HUPCL ECHOE IXANY CS8 -CLOCAL #
\r\fMembership: use "guest"\n\rAIDS info: use "aids"\n\rLogin: # 3

3 # B2400 SANE HUPCL ECHOE ISTRIP CS8 CR1 NL1 -CLOCAL #
    B2400 SANE HUPCL CS8 ECHOE TAB3 IXANY -CLOCAL #
\r\nAT\n\fMembership: use "guest"\n\rAIDS info: use "aids"\n\rLogin: # 1

Any suggestions/help would be more than appreciated.

Scotty
AIDS INFORMATION EXCHANGE BBS      (214) 247-2367/247-5609
                  "Education is the best weapon"
{ames,rutgers,texsun,smu}!killer!ozdaltx!sysop

johngm@dhw68k.cts.com (John Miller) (06/22/89)

In article <5542@ozdaltx.UUCP>, root@ozdaltx.UUCP (root) writes:
> I'm running into a strange problem since I've started using
> a new modem.  The message,
>
> "garbage or loose cable on serial dev 8, port shut down"
>
> Will appear on my screen, I think after the line has been
> called... It never does it when I'm sitting here.

I have a friend who has the same problem as above.  His system is
using Xenix 2.1.1 on an AT.  It only happens when a user calls in.
He can dial out on the line but trying to login is a nightmare.

johngm@dhw68k

daveh@marob.masa.com (Dave Hammond) (06/23/89)

In article <24025@dhw68k.cts.com> johngm@dhw68k.cts.com (John Miller) writes:
>In article <5542@ozdaltx.UUCP>, root@ozdaltx.UUCP (root) writes:
>> I'm running into a strange problem since I've started using
>> a new modem.  The message,
>>
>> "garbage or loose cable on serial dev 8, port shut down" [...]

This should be one of those `frequently-asked-questions' :->

The `garbage or ...' message is quite generic.  It appears *anytime*
that there is any problem with the RS-232 level signals on a COM line.

Problems can stem from poor cable wiring, poor shielding, improper
(or more often *intermittent*) CD, CTR, DSR or RING signal levels, etc.

--
Dave Hammond
daveh@marob.masa.com

maxim@subch.UUCP (Maxim Samo) (06/24/89)

In article <24025@dhw68k.cts.com> johngm@dhw68k.cts.com (John Miller) writes:
>In article <5542@ozdaltx.UUCP>, root@ozdaltx.UUCP (root) writes:
>> "garbage or loose cable on serial dev 8, port shut down"

This happens if the Ring Indicator Cable ist connected to the Computer. Just
disconnect Pin 22 from the modem and everything should be fine.

Maxim
--
                     Maxim Samo, P.O.Box, CH-4125 Riehen
                       UUCP (EUROPE): maxim@subch.UUCP

mgraham@cdp.UUCP (06/25/89)

I have the same problem (garbage or loose cable on serial dev n, port
shut down).  This happens when people dialin (modem/1200/2400).  Does
anyone know about this/know what I can/should do about it?

- Mark Graham

russ@bbx.UUCP (Russ Kepler) (06/27/89)

In article <5542@ozdaltx.UUCP>, root@ozdaltx.UUCP (root) writes:
> I'm running into a strange problem since I've started using
> a new modem.  The message,
>
> "garbage or loose cable on serial dev 8, port shut down" [...]

OK, this one has been running around for a while and I haven't
seen anyone else answer...

If the message is appearing on serial post that are actually
internal modems a fix exists from SCO:

xnx128
Internal Modem Supplement

The letter associated say that the update (replacement libio.a
files) will fix the problem reported in the 'garbage or loose'
message above.  I've set this up for a few folks (one of them
fairly desperate for the fix this last weekend) and it really
does seem to fix the problem.

If anyone needs it it should be loadable from sosco.  If you
can't get it send me email & I can probably make it available
using uucp or something else...

--
Russ Kepler -  Basis International
SNAILMAIL:  5901 Jefferson NE, Albuquerque, NM 87109

bote@csense.UUCP (John Boteler) (07/05/89)

From article <894@bbx.UUCP>, by russ@bbx.UUCP (Russ Kepler):
> In article <5542@ozdaltx.UUCP>, root@ozdaltx.UUCP (root) writes:
>> I'm running into a strange problem since I've started using
>> a new modem.  The message,
>>
>> "garbage or loose cable on serial dev 8, port shut down" [...]
>
> OK, this one has been running around for a while and I haven't
> seen anyone else answer...
>
> If the message is appearing on serial post that are actually
> internal modems a fix exists from SCO:

If the modem is external, and it has a Hayes command set,
it is possible that this message is being caused by
echoing from the modem or result codes being generated
by the modem.

Solution: Turn the echo and result code reporting off for dial-in use.

As 'getty' initializes the port, if the modem receives any
characters, it will echo them back to the host, which then echoes
back to the modem...infinitely. More commonly, result codes are
generated by the modem in response to 'getty' initializing
the modem; the result is the same.

'getty' can't believe that any modem would have the audacity to
actually send data to it without 'carrier detect' asserted.
It therefore assumes that with 'carrier detect' absent,
there must be either electromagnetic interference on the
serial line or a loose connection causing invalid data to be
sent, and reports same.

Note: Telebit Trailblazers are made for UNIX systems, and
have incorporated a dual mode result code command for
just this reason. Practical Peripherals modems allow two
setup configurations to be stored internally for quick
switching between dial-out and dial-in modes. There are
others, also.

--
Bote
uunet!cyclops!csense!bote