[comp.unix.xenix] SCO Forum89: The International Conference for Developers and Resellers

rosso@sco.COM (Ross Oliver) (06/29/89)

SCO Forum89: The International Conference for Developers and Resellers

The  Santa  Cruz  Operation, Inc. (SCO), announces  SCO  Forum89,
an international conference for  developers  and  resellers
interested in the XENIX and UNIX System environment.

SCO Forum89, which takes place August 21-25 on the campus of the
University of California, Santa  Cruz, will feature marketing and
technical sessions, panel discussions, workshops, a new product
showcase, and birds-of-a-feather groups, as well as gala social events.
SCO will introduce new products and discuss its market strategies, and
selected participants will exhibit their own products in an exhibition
area featuring over 60 exhibits.  Numerous sessions and panels will
address issues pertinent to the international UNIX System marketplace.
The conference will include a full day dedicated to exploring the
marketing and technical issues and the technologies that comprise
Open Desktop, SCO's integrated 386 operating environment.

Featured international speakers at SCO Forum89 will include:

Jim Bell, Ph.D., Chairman of the Board, X/Open Company Ltd.
Vittorio Cassoni, Vice President, Olivetti Corporation
Larry Dooling, President, AT&T UNIX Software Operation
David House, Senior Vice President and General Manager,
   Microcomputer Components Group, Intel Corporation
Judith Hurwitz, Analyst and Editor-in-Chief, UNIX in the
   Office, Seybold Office Computing
Leonard Liu, CEO, Acer Technologies
Paul Maritz, Vice President, Advanced Operating Systems,
   Microsoft Corporation
Doug Michels, Vice President and Co-founder, The Santa Cruz
   Operation, Inc.
Larry Michels, President and Co-founder, The Santa Cruz
   Operation, Inc.
Jerry Popek, President, Locus Computing Corporation
Bob Puette, General Manager, Personal Computer Group,
   Hewlett-Packard Company
Michael Stonebraker, Ph.D., Consulting Vice President and
   Co-founder, Relational Technology, Inc.
Gary Stimac, Senior Vice President, Systems Engineering,
   Compaq Computer Corporation
David Tory, President, Open Software Foundation
(All speakers are subject to change without notice.)

Over 60 software and hardware vendors will exhibit their products
at the SCO Forum89 Exhibition, an intimate, exclusive exhibit ideal
for expert-to-expert interactions between senior technical
representatives from the major companies in the international UNIX
System marketplace.  Exhibit space is limited, so interested companies
should contact SCO Forum89 Information as soon as possible.

For more information, in the U.S., Pacific Rim, Asia, or Latin America,
contact SCO Forum89 Information at (408) 425-7222, or toll free in the
U.S. and Canada at (800) 626-UNIX (626-8649).

By uunet/usenet:  ...uunet!sco!forum89

Or, for domain-style mailers:  forum89@sco.com

In Europe, the Middle East, and Africa, contact SCO Forum89
Information at +44 (0)923 816344, or e-mail mcvax!ukc!pyrltd!scol!forum89.

david@infopro.UUCP (David Fiedler) (07/01/89)

From article <3975@viscous.sco.COM>, by rosso@sco.COM (Ross Oliver):

> SCO Forum89, which takes place August 21-25 on the campus of the
> University of California, Santa  Cruz,

Too bad you folks at SCO waited so long to announce the dates, but even
more important, too bad you decided to run your Forum the same week as
Uniforum in Boston. I was really looking forward to Forum89, but I made
arrangements *months ago* for Uniforum. Considering how SCO usually has a
large presence at Uniforums, I can't imagine how this happened!

--
David Fiedler {ames,attmail,hoptoad,pyramid}!infopro!david
USMail: InfoPro Systems, PO Box 220, Rescue CA 95672 Phone: 916/677-5870

fr@icdi10.UUCP (Fred Rump from home) (07/01/89)

In article <200@infopro.UUCP> david@infopro.UUCP (David Fiedler) writes:
>From article <3975@viscous.sco.COM>, by rosso@sco.COM (Ross Oliver):
>> SCO Forum89, which takes place August 21-25 on the campus of the
> I was really looking forward to Forum89, but I made
>arrangements *months ago* for Uniforum. Considering how SCO usually has a
>large presence at Uniforums, I can't imagine how this happened!

Perhaps the attendance was getting to be too big for Santa Cruz to handle? :)

Seriously, this seems to be a major screw up. We'll have to split attendance
as somebody should be at each place.

Fred

--
This is my house.   My castle will get started right after I finish with news.
26 Warren St.             uucp:          ...{bpa dsinc uunet}!cdin-1!icdi10!fr

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (07/03/89)

In article <200@infopro.UUCP> david@infopro.UUCP (David Fiedler) writes:
>From article <3975@viscous.sco.COM>, by rosso@sco.COM (Ross Oliver):
>> SCO Forum89, which takes place August 21-25 on the campus of the
>> University of California, Santa  Cruz,
>Too bad you folks at SCO waited so long to announce the dates, but even
>more important, too bad you decided to run your Forum the same week as
>Uniforum in Boston.

SCO Forum8x has always been held the last full week of August.  This is
its third year.  They send out a "don't forget" mailing to their customers
early in the summer.

It's unfortunate, I suppose, that a regional Uniforum is being held at
the same time, but dates for all these kinds of events are nailed down
years, not months, in advance.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer

jeff@swusrgrp.UUCP (Jeff Tye) (07/05/89)

In article <3620@ursa-major.SPDCC.COM>, dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
> In article <200@infopro.UUCP> david@infopro.UUCP (David Fiedler) writes:
> >Too bad you folks at SCO waited so long to announce the dates, but even
> >more important, too bad you decided to run your Forum the same week as
> >Uniforum in Boston.
>
> SCO Forum8x has always been held the last full week of August.  This is
> its third year.  They send out a "don't forget" mailing to their customers
> early in the summer.

True, I got my invite months ago.

> It's unfortunate, I suppose, that a regional Uniforum is being held at
> the same time, but dates for all these kinds of events are nailed down
> years, not months, in advance.

I'd rather go to Santa Cruz, California anyway. SCO's conference compared
to the regional UniForum is more interesting. At this point, I'll get more
value from the SCO conference than UniForum. Most of the vendors at UniForum
will be in sabre-rattling mode and aren't in a position to offer anything that
I can't read from the trades. At least at SCO's conference there will be
people who are *really* concerned with furthering the UNIX cause and not so
much about their BMW payment and who they have to suck up to next.

--
Jeff Tye
ncar!noao!asuvax!hrc!swusrgrp!jeff