[comp.unix.xenix] Kernel too big!

chip@ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) (07/08/89)

We thought we had this network thing figured out.  Unfortunately, the IBM
PC architecture came up and bit us in the behind.

SCO TCP/IP works fine.  SCO Xenix-Net works fine.  Put them together in a
2.3 kernel and the kernel is too big to boot.  Since the boot process runs
in real mode, you can't have more than 640K of code+data in your kernel --
or so it appears, anyway.

How can I boot a big kernel?  Is there any way around this problem?  Help!
--
You may redistribute this article only to those who may freely do likewise.
Chip Salzenberg         |       <chip@ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>

itkin@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Steven M. List) (07/08/89)

In article <24B521A8.8458@ateng.com> chip@ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
> 2.3 kernel and the kernel is too big to boot.  Since the boot process runs
> in real mode, you can't have more than 640K of code+data in your kernel --
> or so it appears, anyway.
>
> How can I boot a big kernel?  Is there any way around this problem?  Help!

We had the same problem.  Although it was not clear that this was the
problem.  We were trying to load in some tape drivers and multiport board
drivers and loadl pseudo-ttys and MultiView and...

Anyway, it seems that SCO has a modified version of /boot that will boot
a >640K kernel.  Have you checked with TechSupport?  We could always send
it to you if they don't/won't.
 :                Steven List @ Transact Software, Inc. :^>~                  :
 :           Chairman, Unify User Group of Northern California                :
 :    {apple,coherent,limbo,mips,pyramid,ubvax}!itkin@guinan.Transact.COM     :

fischer@netmbx.UUCP (Axel Fischer) (07/09/89)

In article <24B521A8.8458@ateng.com> chip@ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>How can I boot a big kernel?  Is there any way around this problem?  Help!
There is a patch available direct from SCO for this problem.

Or download the patch yourself from there anonymous UUCP machine (sosco),
a list of the patches is in ~uucp/SLS/info.

-Axel
--
Domain:        fischer@netmbx.UUCP
Europe:        ...!tmpmbx!netmbx!fischer