[comp.unix.xenix] Re^2: Large disks with DOS/Xenix

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (07/12/89)

davidsen@sungod.crd.ge.com (William Davidsen) writes:

>In article <1710@hudson.acc.virginia.edu> wrp@biochsn.acc.Virginia.EDU (William R. Pearson) writes:

>| 	I am concerned that I will not be able to do this, because
>| Xenix appears to only allow one DOS partition on a drive, and I am
>| afraid that partition may be limited to 32 Mbyte.  Has anyone put
>| a large (100 Mbyte) DOS partition on the same drive as Xenix? Or put
>| multiple 32 Mbyte partitions.  If I cannot use a single drive for
>| both Xenix and DOS as I wish, I may be better off getting 2 150 Mbyte
>| drives.

>  Xenix will allow about anything, but it only seems to use one
>partition per drive, and that must be as follows:
>	1. a "primary DOS partition"
>	2. size <= 32MB
>	3. starting at the beginning (cylinder 0) of the disk

Cylinder 0 should NOT be used, as stated in the SCO installation guide.

>  You can have other DOS partitions, but Xenix probably won't use them.
>You might want to have a small 5-10MB primary DOS partition and then a
>big one so you could use the primary as a buffer.

Xenix will be able to use them, as long as the proper entry is in
/etc/default/msdos.

On another note, you can put whatever size DOS partition you want on the
same drive as Xenix.  However, the Xenix dos utilities will not be able
to recognize it.  Typing 'dos' at the boot: prompt should still work,
however, since it is simply reading the boot track.

JB
--
Jonathan Bayer			      Beware: The light at the end of the
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.	      tunnel may be an oncoming dragon